merging two files with different metadata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinodhraj
Participant

merging two files with different metadata

Post by vinodhraj »

Hi,

Is it possible in Datastage to merge files with different metadata having common key columns?

Thanks

Vinod
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: merging two files with different metadata

Post by balajisr »

vinodhraj wrote:Hi,

Is it possible in Datastage to merge files with different metadata having common key columns?

Thanks

Vinod
Use Merge stage.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Either you can use merger or lookup based on the volume of data. Since your concertn is on metadata, I guess you are on Concatination, if so just use cat file1 file2 > new filename command in any of the unix command execution option, like Execute command activity or Before/After job subroutine.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
changming
Participant

why you do that

Post by changming »

cat two file. but why you do that? how do you deal with a file with two parts of different meta data?
vinodhraj
Participant

Post by vinodhraj »

Thanks.

I am working with datastage server jobs, I can't use merge stage in server since I have to mention different key name for the same column.

Is it possible in unix ?

Somehow I have done this using Set Operators in SQL..

I didn't prefer lookup becoz, there is no relation between these tables though the column name were same.

Moreover SET Operators were better in performance wise.

Thanks

Vinod
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If there is no relationship between two table, how can you merge two table without cartision product.
Can you explain your need with some example?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
vinodhraj
Participant

Post by vinodhraj »

Kumar,

Using Union we can do this i.e if the column name is similar.

Since I am joining with differnent metadata, which ever metadata is mismatching, I will mention them as empty string providing common alias name.

for eg:

table a

name
deptno
sal

table b

name
deptname

select name, deptno,to_char(sal),'' deptname from table a
union all
select name, '' deptno,'' sal,deptname from table b

hope it helps

Vinod
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

vinodhraj wrote:I am working with datastage server jobs, I can't use merge stage in server since I have to mention different key name for the same column.
Vinod
This is not correct. The column names (when working with sequential files) are totally irrelevant. Adjust the metadata so that you do have a common key column name.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Using transformer, you can create columns with empty strings to match the metadata. Or use script for the same purpose. 'Cat' the two files.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

cat is NOT the same as join.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

cat is synonymous to union.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Neither is cat synonymous to UNION. A UNION removes duplicates; cat does not. Nor is UNION a join.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Actually i mean UNION ALL. Cat is synonymous to UNION ALL. And yes my statement above doesnt hold true as UNION does remove duplicates. For some reason i left out the 'ALL'. :oops:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Learn not to rush, grasshopper. :D
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Well caught. :wink: