Nested Condition Sequence Problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ktm5050
Participant

Nested Condition Sequence Problem

Post by ktm5050 »

WARNING: Variable 'Routine_Activity_32.$ReturnValue' never assigned a value. 2 Errors detected, No Object Code Produced. (FINAL_SEQUENCE)

I haven't been lucky compiling this sequence. I have DS 7x (PX) on Win XP. I am trying to load a simple incremental data into the staging table. This is a netsted condition sequence with two conditions: Incremental and Destructive. Under job Parameter I have PATH (String) with default value: I

Job sequence has Custom (Conditional) trigger with following expression:
#Path#=I
#Path#=D

When I run each jobs individually, they run OK but some reason sequence gives me error with above Warning. Any advice? I couldn't find any posting on this error.
ktm
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Something, most likely one of your Job Activity stages, has that as a parameter's Value Expression. Or it is referenced in a custom trigger. And it implies there's no such stage name in the Sequence job as 'Routine_Activity_32'.

Can you check for that?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ktm5050
Participant

Post by ktm5050 »

You pin pointed the problem. I had copied this job from other project and the parameter setup came with it.

I deleted that parameter but now I recieved this error. Do you have any clue what's going on?

================================================
Compiling: Source = 'RT_BP24/JOB.112016544.DT.1405172354', Object = 'RT_BP24.O/JOB.112016544.DT.1405172354'
***********************************************************************************************************
0160 If (#Path#=D) Then GoSub L$V0S45$START

"NE" unexpected, Was expecting: Array Name, Variable name,
New variable name, ';', Statement label, "ABORT", "ABORTE"...

0161 If (#Path#=I) Then GoSub L$V0S25$START

New variable name, ';', Statement label, "ABORT",.....

2 Errors detected, No Object Code Produced.
(FINAL_SEQUENCE)
==============================================
ktm
ktm5050
Participant

Post by ktm5050 »

My final join Job also gives me an error on validation. It's loads the Data OK without any problem but when I try to validate, it gives me following error:

Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage FINAL_JOIN1..Dynamic_RDBMS_0

DataStage Job 22 Phantom 356
Program "DSP.Open": Line 116, Exception raised in GCI subroutine:
Access violation.
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage FINAL_JOIN1..Dynamic_RDBMS_0
DataStage Phantom Aborting with @ABORT.CODE = 3
ktm
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ktm5050 wrote:0160 If (#Path#=D) Then GoSub L$V0S45$START

New variable name, ';', Statement label, "ABORT", "ABORTE"...
:? Did you code a 'not equal' expression anywhere using 'NE'? If so, try using '<>' instead. You might also want to try putting quotes around the values being tested, i.e.:

Code: Select all

#Path#="D"
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ktm5050 wrote:My final join Job also gives me an error on validation.
You really should start a new topic for this as it's unrelated to your previous problem. It's been a number of years since I've bothered to Validate anything. An 'access violation' is usually a sign of a code problem - with the Vendor, not with you. Only thing I can think to check is... are you using Sequential Files in the job? Sometimes if they don't exist the job will not validate and sometime rather messily. Other than that... [shrug]

Perhaps the answer is to not Validate the job. :wink: Or open up a support case with IBM / Ascential.
-craig

ktm5050
Participant

Post by ktm5050 »

I was able to compile it after I deleted my parameters (#Path#=D) and just kept my sequence unconditional with only one condition (incremental- as simple as possible). I still need to investigate more on this to find the actual problem but for now it works.

Thanks for your help. I learned to pay more attention on error codes with your help. It's very inspiring to see how folks like you guys spend your valuable time on helping others.
ktm
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... I know what's going on. :D

Those trigger expressions are one of the few places where a Job Parameter should not be wrapped in hash/pound signs. You can verify this by using the elipses (...) to build your expression rather than typing it in by hand. In DS BASIC, the '#' symbol is equivalent to 'not equals' and that's how it is being interpreted here.

Change your trigger code to Path="D" (you don't really need the parens) and you'll be fine.
-craig

ktm5050
Participant

Post by ktm5050 »

You were absolutely right . It worked perfectly once I deleted the # signs. Thanks :D
ktm