where to locate .dshome file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

psv
Participant

where to locate .dshome file

Post by psv »

I have installed DS 7.5.1A server on solaris 9.Everything is working fine.ABle to complile and run the jobs.No problem ,however I am not able to find .dshome on the server.
I am confused and surprised :shock: !!
could u please tell what content .dshome file has in it. Can i manually copy this file from other existing Datastage server directory.Will I face any problem if .dshome file is not present ....
Please advice.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There can be a hidden file in the root directory called ".dshome" which contains the fully qualified path to the DS server directory. This ends with "/DSEngine".

This file is not present when multiple DS engines are installed on the same machine. Since the file is missing and you only have one engine AND you are having problems connecting then you most certainly did not have a success installation.

I think it best to re-install. This will take less time than trying to figure out how to fix this failed installation.
psv
Participant

Post by psv »

[quote="ArndW"]There can be a hidden file in the root directory called ".dshome" which contains the fully qualified path to the DS server directory. This ends with "/DSEngine".

This file is not present when multiple DS engines are installed on the same machine. Since the file is missing and you only have one engine [b]AND[/b] you are having problems connecting then you most certainly did not have a success installation.

I think it best to re-install. This will take less time than trying to figure out how to fix this failed installation.[/quote]

I am not having problem in connecting to the server...I have already written that I am able to compile and run jobs on this server....Just the .dshome file is not present..
I am surprised!!!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You do realize that it is a 'hidden' file (because it starts with a dot) and you have to specifically use the -a option with 'ls' to find it? I'd be surprised if it's really not there... try:

Code: Select all

ls -la /.dshome
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Or simply ask to read its contents, which will answer both your questions!

Code: Select all

cat /.dshome
Note for users of Windows-based servers: the .dshome file is not used on these machines; instead the location of the DataStage install directory is unsurprisingly a Registry entry.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
psv
Participant

Post by psv »

[quote="chulett"]You do realize that it is a 'hidden' file (because it starts with a dot) and you have to specifically use the [b]-a[/b] option with 'ls' to find it? I'd be surprised if it's really not there... try:

[code]ls -la /.dshome[/code][/quote]

Hi chulett,

thanks. i had used that command to find..but did not find.

$ ls -la /.dshome
/.dshome: No such file or directory
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That suggests one of three things.
(1) You are not on the server where DataStage is installed.
(2) You did not install DataStage server successfully.
(3) You did an -itag installation, so that the location is in the DSHOME environment variable.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
psv
Participant

Post by psv »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]That suggests one of three things.
(1) You are not on the server where DataStage is installed.
(2) You did not install DataStage server successfully.
(3) You did an -itag installation, so that ...[/quote]

Sorry for replying so late.The point 1 and 2 are definitely not possible because-
I am on Datastage server and installation is successfull.I am able to coonect to server using client desinger,manager,administrator,etc.I am able to compile and run jobs.
I did not get your 3rd point.What is -itag installation?
I installed as non-root and then root (the admin person)had run the impersonation ,autostart and other scripsts to add dsrpc in /etc/services.