TeraSync: TimeOut

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ItsMe
Participant

TeraSync: TimeOut

Post by ItsMe »

Our DataStage jobs do sometime aborts on the following error:

1. ds_ipcput - timeout waiting for mutex
2. TeraSync: waitOnState(1) timeout. Cannot start the control daemon. Operator's runLocally() failed.

I would like to know where is the problem?
Is it a problem in DataStage or in Teradata environment?
And what can be done to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

There's a search facility here, which would answer at least the first of your questions. Become familiar with it - it can save you some time.

Anything with a ds... identifier is likely to be DataStage; ds_ipcput is an interprocess communications timeout waiting to send. You've taken a timeout on a mutex lock because that is how your system implements smart semaphores.

Anything with a Tera... idenfiier is likely to be TeraData. Again there's a timeout, probably in the process waiting for the control daemon to be up and running.

Timeouts most usually occur, in my experience and based on posts on this forum, because the system is overloaded and can't respond within a certain time period. The cure is obvious; don't overload the system.
Of course there may be other issues, such as deadlocks in databases, that can also evince these symptoms.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ItsMe
Participant

TeraSyn: TimeOut

Post by ItsMe »

Thanks Ray for the information, very helpful.

I need to fix this problem and it is happening to frequent; is there anything can be done to fix it?

1. Is there any APT_ variable I can set to modify the Timeout values?

2. Do you recommend to modify the schedule of the jobs so that they don't run at the same time?

3. Does upgrade to v7.5 helps at all?

Thank you.

ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard. :D

There's a search facility here, which would answer at least the first of your questions. Become familiar with it - it can save you some time.

Anything with a ds... identifier is likely to be DataStage; ds_ipcput is an interprocess communications timeout waiting to send. You've taken a timeout on a mutex lock because that is how your system implements smart semaphores.

Anything with a Tera... idenfiier is likely to be TeraData. Again there's a timeout, probably in the process waiting for the control daemon to be up and running.

Timeouts most usually occur, in my experience and based on posts on this forum, because the system is overloaded and can't respond within a certain time period. The cure is obvious; don't overload the system.
Of course there may be other issues, such as deadlocks in databases, that can also evince these symptoms.
hdong
Participant

Re: TeraSync: TimeOut

Post by hdong »

hi, did you solve the problem? we had the same issue after update the Teradata from 4 notes to 10 notes.

thanks

ItsMe wrote:Our DataStage jobs do sometime aborts on the following error:

2. TeraSync: waitOnState(1) timeout. Cannot start the control daemon. Operator's runLocally() failed.

Thanks in advance.
ItsMe
Participant

Re: TeraSync: TimeOut

Post by ItsMe »

No, yet to solve. Worst thing is the DataStage server comes down every now and then since the upgrade. I am thinking of specifying no of nodes to be used for a Teradata connection - 'SessionPerPlayer'

Please do let me if you find something. FYI, we got this error even before the upgrade. After the upgrade we are having partition block problems for links from Teradata icon.

:(
hdong wrote:hi, did you solve the problem? we had the same issue after update the Teradata from 4 notes to 10 notes.

thanks

ItsMe wrote:Our DataStage jobs do sometime aborts on the following error:

Thanks in advance.
LepoLee
Participant

Has it resolved in DSEE 7.5.2?

Post by LepoLee »

We have a 2node 14AMPs TeraData System and same error "TeraSync: TimeOut"
What Can We do Now?
LepoLee
mcolen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Teradata Mload

Post by mcolen »

In the Teradata Mload/Input/Limit Settings Tab you can specify number of concurrent sessions and time of "TABLEWAIT"
LepoLee
Participant

Post by LepoLee »

We use TeraData Enterprise Stage now.
How to set concurrent session number?
LepoLee
Fabiano
Participant

Post by Fabiano »

Well,

I'm using Parallel job gettting data from Teradata and I had the same timeout problem.

Set another DB option using "synctimeout=300" (i.e., 300 seconds).
Default value is 20

Example:

user=usrname,password=xx,SessionsPerPlayer=#,RequestedSessions=##,
synctimeout=300
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard, and thank you for the useful advice.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.