DSN Names

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Indrani
Participant

DSN Names

Post by Indrani »

Hi
We have installed DS Client, DS Server, Database Server are all in different machines. Iam not able to get the DSN names, when I import through the ODBC table definitions. In the ODBC Table Definition - I get the server name where DS server is installed. Should I do anything in the machine where DS Server is installed? I also tried to make a ODBC Connectivity in the DS Client (through control panel). But still Iam not getting the DSN names. Please help me out to get the DSN names. Hope I explained the situatin clear, If it is not understable, please let me know. I will try to explain still clear.

Thanks in advance.
RS
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Which database are you connecting to? If it is Oracle, can you use tnsping on your DataStage system?
Indrani
Participant

DB2

Post by Indrani »

We are using DB2 as our source. All the DSN are already created.
RS
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Indrani,

can you db2connect to the database from the DataStage server?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSNs with associated database information need to be set up in .odbc.ini and a reference to each DSN must be set up in the uvodbc.config file in your project.

There has been a recent thread on just this topic; search should find it fairly easily. A good search term might be DBMSTYPE.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Indrani
Participant

Post by Indrani »

"One important thing to remember: the DataStage Server is the ODBC client, so you need to configure ODBC on the machine where the DataStage server is running.

Mike "

We have connected the DS Server and the DB2 server machine.
So you need to get the ODBC connectivity and place all the DSN names in the DS Server machine.

So If I place just the DSN names in the server machine , will it bring the datas from DB2 source?

In the above, Mike seems to say the same in a question from yesterday 's forum.
RS
Indrani
Participant

Post by Indrani »

ray.wurlod wrote:DSNs with associated database information need to be set up in .odbc.ini and a reference to each DSN must be set up in the uvodbc.config file in your project.

There has been a recent thread on just this topic; search should find it fairly easily. A good search term might be DBMSTYPE.
Ray, I still didn't get you about the odbc.inin and the uvodbc.config
RS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a (hidden) file called .odbc.ini in the DataStage Engine directory (the directory specified by $DSHOME). Sometimes an environment variable $ODBCINI has been created to refer to the location of .odbc.ini.

The .odbc.ini file contains the definitions of all DSNs visible from the DataStage server machine. (If you're old enough you'll remember that this is how things used to be done in Windows 3.1 and earlier, too. Now the Registry entry is still called OBDCini, maybe as a commemoration.)

You edit the .odbc.ini file to create and configure DSNs.

There is a uvodbc.config file in each project. This determines which DSNs are visible from that particular project. Each DSN must also have a value for DBMSTYPE of either ODBC (which means look in .odbc.ini) or UNIVERSE (which means use BCI/UCI functions rather than an ODBC driver to connect to a UniVerse (or DataStage) data source).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Indrani
Participant

Post by Indrani »

Ray,
I understood about the odbc.ini and uvodbc.
So If I make the ODBC connectivity with the DSN names in the DS Server machine, will I get the data in the DS client machine.
RS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSNs only appear in the drop-down list in the ODBC stage if you've imported at least one table definition from the data source.

When you're going through the process of Import > Table Definitions > ODBC Table Definitions in the Manager client, all DSNs named in the project's uvodbc.config file appear in the drop down list of available DSNs.
Indrani
Participant

Post by Indrani »

ray.wurlod wrote:DSNs only appear in the drop-down list in the ODBC stage if you've imported at least one table definition from the data source.

When you're going through the process of Import > Table Definitions > ODBC Table Definitions in the Manager client, all DSNs named in the project's uvodbc.config file appear in the drop down list of available DSNs.

Yes, But Iam not getting any DSN names in the Import > Table Defn> ODBC Table Defn in the DS client machine. It says empty DSN names.
RS
Indrani
Participant

Post by Indrani »

ray.wurlod wrote:DSNs only appear in the drop-down list in the ODBC stage if you've imported at least one table definition from the data source.

Yes, But Iam not getting any DSN names in the Import > Table Defn> ODBC Table Defn in the DS client machine. It says empty DSN names.

Should I make the necessary changes in the DS Server / DS client machine?
RS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You must make the changes on the DS server, particularly the uvodbc.config file in the project and the .odbc.ini file in the "home" directory.

No changes are required on the DS client machine.
Indrani
Participant

Post by Indrani »

Ok, Thanks Ray
RS
drostnu
Participant

problem

Post by drostnu »

so far i have the same problem i know i have to configure /uvodbc.config

but how should i set this.

[ODBC DATA SOURCES]