SQL Server Connection

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tostay2003
Participant

SQL Server Connection

Post by tostay2003 »

I want to connect to SQLServer, and I am using Ascential 7.5.1. I dont see any plugin of SQLServer. Is it abnormal, not to have plugin for SQLServer???

Will DRS (Dynamic RDBMS stage), work to extract data from SQLServer??? (I heard this from someone,but not for sure).

or do i need to go for ODBC only, is there no other stage???

and does ODBC connectivity work for SQLServer. Because ODBC connectivity didnt work for netezza in version 7.5.1
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

There should be a plug-in available for SQL Server. May be it was not installed. Besides, you can also use DRS and ODBC to connect to SQLserver and extract data. I have connected to SQLServer using plug-in and ODBC earlier.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

kris007 wrote:There should be a plug-in available for SQL Server. May be it was not installed. Besides, you can also use DRS and ODBC to connect to SQLserver and extract data. I have connected to SQLServer using plug-in and ODBC earlier.
If you are on Unix then your only choice is ODBC. DRS may support SQL Server but it would still be using the ODBC drivers.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Missed the Unix. I thought I read it as Windows. On windows you do have a plug in for SQLServer(I have used that earlier and that is what I meant in my earlier post). We are currently using ODBC and DRS to connect to SQLServer here on Unix.
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
tostay2003
Participant

Post by tostay2003 »

Thanks for the help
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Set up the ODBC connection, make sure you use a hostname and not an IP if your SQL-Server is on a DHCP assigned machine. Also, you need the port number as well, very important.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could hunt for a version of SQL Server that runs on UNIX, but you won't find one. You could create your own plug-in stage, but it's really not worth the effort. The vendor supplies a UNIX-based ODBC driver that can connect to SQL Server on Windows.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

I have been using ODBC to connect to SQL Sever for a year now and did not run into any kind of issues
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As have we.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers