Read Access for DS Jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vardhan354
Participant

Read Access for DS Jobs

Post by vardhan354 »

Gurus,

Is there any way, I can enable a user to do only a read access to the DS jobs at the project level.It is ok, if he can run the jobs but the user should not be able to modify the existing jobs.

Thanks..............
ETL
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

One way I could think of is create a new Project and move all the jobs from your source Project into this new project using Version Control and define them as read only while you move it into the new project. That way he will be able to run the jobs but not change.

IHTH
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Check out Operators versus Developers when configuring user access.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
maffan76
Participant

Post by maffan76 »

Hi,
I am facing a problem related to this as when i make a user DS Operator he cannot see the job list in Director. ALthough Documentation says that DSOperator can run jobs.

Am i missing something here. how can i make a user DS Operator so that he can see the jobs/Logs and run the operations.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Affan
"Questioning is Half Knowledge"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The DS Operator role can never see job designs.

What you want to do can only be accomplished using operating system permissions on the relevant Repository tables. For jobs this is an all-or-nothing proposition - they can see all jobs but edit none, or they can edit all jobs. Individual jobs can be made read-only to everybody, or not read-only-to-everybody, using the READONLY attribute.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
maffan76
Participant

Post by maffan76 »

But i want the Operator to see the job names/Logs in Director. Can you please exlpain to which repository tables do i need to give permissions as i could not find anything related to this.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Affan
"Questioning is Half Knowledge"
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The Operator role is basically nerfed because it relies on a mechanism that most people no longer use. Operators can only see and run released jobs. As noted, released job have no design time information, so they can never be opened in Designer.

If you want to pursue use of this Operator role, you'll need to read up on the 'Release Job' option in the Manager.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers