Performance degradation upgrading DataStage release

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Umbix62
Participant

Performance degradation upgrading DataStage release

Post by Umbix62 »

Hi

we are upgrading DataStage Server from release 7.1 to 7.5.2 one and it works all fine but sometimes the duration of some Jobs is different. For example a Job Server who read data from an Oracle table and write them onto an hashed file in the previous release run in 20 minutes now in...24 hours. I think it depends on unavailable resources such as disk spaces (files fragmentantion????) or peraphs central memory but I can't see the disks situations or the list of proccesses on the server meanwhile the Job is running.

Any suggestions????

Thank you very much

Umberto
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

This shouldnt be just due to the DS upgrade. Check whether the table has any lock, and the job might be waiting for the lock to get relased.
Why cant you check the disk spcace?
What do you mean by central memory? Is it temp dirictory? If so what stops you to check the avaiability of space?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
Umbix62
Participant

Post by Umbix62 »

kumar_s wrote:This shouldnt be just due to the DS upgrade. Check whether the table has any lock, and the job might be waiting for the lock to get relased.
Why cant you check the disk spcace?
What do you mean by central memory? Is it temp dirictory? If so what stops you to check the avaiability of space?
I can't check the disk space or the list of processes in running mode during the execution of my job (I mean ram memory for central one) because I can't access the Server machine as administrator. The server is located in Losanna (Swizzerland) and I'm in Rome. We access only the directory containing data and I have no tools to use for capturing other informations. I think that DS upgrade is not responsable of perfomance degradation too but I have to be sure. Anyway thank you for the answer.

Have a nice day

Umberto
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Why can you use the datastage to find out that. ie., using the ExecuteCommand activity or the Befor/After subroutine to execute the necessary OS commands.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

You can also find some DOS based freewares http://www.pc-tools.net/dos/dosutils/, which can help you.
Umbix62
Participant

Post by Umbix62 »

kumar_s wrote:You can also find some DOS based freewares http://www.pc-tools.net/dos/dosutils/, which can help you.
I'll do that. Thank you again