NLS Map

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yalamanchili
Participant

Post by yalamanchili »

Hi Pxlearn,

i have also faced a similar problem.At last I found that the problem is not with the Datastage. Changing the NLS map won't solve your problem. Tell me which server OS you are using.

You check these things at your end.

1.while loading from Seq File to OCI Stage
You should able to see all the data with Special Charecters.

2.Open the File in Unix environment by vi command
In place of Arabic Charecters you should observe numbers or different symbols.

3.while reading from oci and writing to seq file or oci stage
You should able to observe ??

Then the Problem is at your server end. Change the settings at server end so that you can able to view arabic charecters on unix prompt when you view the file.

Note: Proper NLS settings are required but that does'nt mean that by changing the nls settings will solve ur problem unless and until your language settings are not set at OS level.
thirupri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thirupri »

Hi Pxlearn,

It is not a problem. Go to sequential file properties. Select "NLS tab page" in that Select "Allow per column level mapping". Then for the job default you use the same as mentioned. But for that arabic column alone, change "ISO8859-6" in the column properties for the sequential file.

Best Regards,

Thiruma Valavan.
Best Regards,
Thiruma Valavan
Ocean
Participant

Post by Ocean »

I'm facing the same problem, Unix Server, DB2. Could you please explain which level I have to set, is it OS Level or DataStage Server level? Any tip on how to set in OS or DS Server?

yalamanchili wrote:Hi Pxlearn,

i have also faced a similar problem.At last I found that the problem is not with the Datastage. Changing the NLS map won't solve your problem. Tell me which server OS you are using.

You check these things at your end.

1.while loading from Seq File to OCI Stage
You should able to see all the data with Special Charecters.

2.Open the File in Unix environment by vi command
In place of Arabic Charecters you should observe numbers or different symbols.

3.while reading from oci and writing to seq file or oci stage
You should able to observe ??

Then the Problem is at your server end. Change the settings at server end so that you can able to view arabic charecters on unix prompt when you view the file.

Note: Proper NLS settings are required but that does'nt mean that by changing the nls settings will solve ur problem unless and until your language settings are not set at OS level.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to differentiate three maps (encodings).
  • ISO8859-6 is the UNIX server map for Arabic.

MS1256 (or CP1256 on DOS) is the Windows server map for Arabic.

MS1256-CS is the map for communicating with the Windows client (the "-CS" stands for "client/server").
As noted earlier, the problem may not be NLS maps but, if it is, you must put the right map on the right boundary.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.