Line No in Job no

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsdoubt
Participant

Line No in Job no

Post by dsdoubt »

Hi,

If I get the following error,
DataStage Job 271 Phantom 6765
Job Aborted after Fatal Error logged.
Program "DSD.WriteLog": Line 239, Abort.
Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage
I know that i need to find the line number 6765 in the file related to the jobno 271 under the project folder, but i dont know which one to exactly lookinto. If i check RT_BP271 or RT_BP271.O it doesnt give any information related to this log. I guess this is some runtime file. So may i know what is the file i need to look at?
If it is RT_LOG271, pls help me to know how to read it, because if I do cat RT_LOG271 it doenst give any usefull info.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You are in a catch 22 problem. It appears your process does not have write permission to the RT_LOGnnn. So it cannot log the error.
Mamu Kim
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Hi Kim,
Program "DSD.WriteLog": Line 239, Abort
Is this information helped you to come to a conclusion of this.
May I know wha is catch 22 problem?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Catch-22 from the novel of the same name by Joseph Heller.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Open the RT_BP271 folder and check the files out there, you will see the code of the job there. The line number can be traced out there.
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It may not be permissions, it may be other problems such as disk full in your project directory or a corrupted log table. However, you do need to resolve why the log could not be written to.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

loveojha2 wrote:Open the RT_BP271 folder...
. That is correct, but the program that is causing the error in this case, "DSD.WriteLog", is a DS program and not found there.
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Thanks for your inputs.
Due to some reason, the job ran find from the second run. And the RT_BP271 file also got over written. So I counld not find the reason why.

And I was using dsadm for both the time.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think your second run was with a different user. If you are on UNIX then the permissions need to be set so all users running jobs are in the same default UNIX group. Next each user needs to have write permission to the whole project directory. Also each user needs to overwrite another user's files. If you search for umask or chmod then I posted scripts to fix this. The same post talks about putting umask into uv.rc and dsenv. This is very important and is explained in this post. If you cannot find it the let us know.
Mamu Kim