Error records in DataWarehouse

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sdfasih
Participant

Error records in DataWarehouse

Post by sdfasih »

Hi,
I would like to know what type of errors I can encounter apart from reject records from business rules when loading data from staging to datawarehouse.
Thanx.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

A lot depends on what database you are loading your data into and the nature of your source data and so on. Too big a question to answer. Search is your friend :wink:
Kris

Where's the "Any" key?-Homer Simpson
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

BTW: The records getting reject for a business rule constraint shouldnt be a technical error in all cases.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Connectivity failures, including network, database server, authentication errors (e.g. wrong password) and more. These should be immediately fatal.

Violation of security and/or integrity constraints (most usually primary key uniqueness constraints), which should be prevented in your design.

Property or object does not exist - where "they" have changed the target table but that information has not propagated through to the ETL design team. These should be fatal, and cause recriminations between you and "them".

Scheduled or unscheduled database activity, such as backups and bulk loads, for which they have quiesced the database without informing ETL Operations group. Again, a management/communication failure which ought never to have happened. Classed as "bitter experience".

To name a few.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.