Flag Logic

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Diya
Participant

Flag Logic

Post by Diya »

Guys,

Im facing the following problem in the Transformer logic.

I have two input columns to my transformer 'Value' and 'Type'
I have one output 'flag' column which is to be populated as 'Y' or 'N' as per the logic below.

"For each 'Type' I should assign the value 'Y' to the output flag for that record for which 'Value' is maximum."

Example:

Type, Value, Flag,
A, 122, N
A, 136, Y
A, 126, N
B, 111, N
B, 156, Y
C, 187, Y
C, 163, N
C, 145, N

Can anyone give me the logic to be used in the transformer?

Thanks in advance,
Diya
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Looks like a lengthy statement like IF In.Type="A" and In.Value=122 THEN 'N' ELSE IF In.Type = "A"... is your best best, since there is no discernable logic for the values of Type and Value for setting the flag.
Diya
Participant

Seems like impossible

Post by Diya »

I just gave u an example.There are 1000s of records in the input table with so many types.For each type i should pick up the row in which 'value' is maximum and then assign vale 'Y' to the flag...for all other rows i whould assign 'N'....

so if there are 'x' types I will have 'x' rows with flag='y' and the rest of the rows with flag='N'.

So writing a lengthy statement will not work...

Can u suggest any other idea...

Thanks
Diya
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Looks like you need to run the data to a hashed file with all rows flagged as "N" and also to an Aggregator getting the max for the group and then output from the aggregator to a transformer where you set the flag accordingly, then write to the same hashed file. Then, move the data out of the hashed file.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sort by Type then in descending order by Value. Use stage variables to detect a change in Type and set the flag to 'Y' where this occurs and to 'N' otherwise.

Code: Select all

svIsChanged  @INROWNUM = 1 Or InLink.Type <> svPrevType 
svPrevType   InLink.Type
svFlag       If svIsChanged Then "Y" Else "N"
Note that svIsChanged must occur (be evaluated) before svPrevType. Make sure that stage variables are initialized.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.