server engine status

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ppalka
Participant

server engine status

Post by ppalka »

Hi,

I want to test the state of my ds server process(engine). Is that enough to check if there is running dsrpcd process?
How to check if that process is not hanged? Execute 'dsjob' command?
Best regards,
Piotrek

Polish DataStage consulting company:
<a href="http://www.etlpro.pl">ETL PRO</a>
g_rkrish
Participant

Re: server engine status

Post by g_rkrish »

ppalka wrote:Hi,

I want to test the state of my ds server process(engine). Is that enough to check if there is running dsrpcd process?
How to check if that process is not hanged? Execute 'dsjob' command?
do you want check your server or your job.also pls mention your server is it windows or unix.

thanks,
RK
RK
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You can't connect with a DS Client without dsrpcd running.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

g_rkrish wrote: do you want check your server or your job.also pls mention your server is it windows or unix.
As you can see in post header it is unix :)
Best regards,
Piotrek

g_rkrish
Participant

Post by g_rkrish »

ppalka wrote:
g_rkrish wrote: do you want check your server or your job.also pls mention your server is it windows or unix.
As you can see in post header it is unix :)
sorry,As kennth mentioned you can't even connect to client if you server is not running.which means you can'do anything or run DSJOB command etc.
RK
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

OK, but how check it if I doesn't want to use client?
ps -ef | grep dsrpc ? But this process could be hanged ...
Best regards,
Piotrek

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Start DS Manager and try to connect to the server. If it says the engine might not be running, it's probably not running or you mistyped your userid/password.

ps -ef |grep dsrpcd will not do anything but tell you that the daemon is in the process table. You'll have to try to do something.

In using this tool since 1998 I've never heard of the daemon hanging, so what's the real problem you're having?
Kenneth Bland

ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

kcbland wrote: In using this tool since 1998 I've never heard of the daemon hanging, so what's the real problem you're having?
I don't have such problem. I want to make some monitoring tool for datastage environment and I though it could be good idea to figure some other states of ds daemon, not only running and not running.
Best regards,
Piotrek

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I don't know if there's such a way that programmatically convincingly shows the daemon isn't operating properly.
Kenneth Bland

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could start dsrpcd in a low-verbosity debugging mode, or even simply direct its output to some other file than /dev/null. Even this would not tell you that it's running now, but would tell you how recently it had logged anything. After all, it's a listener - it doesn't do anything unless asked to.

Like the other posters I have never experienced any problems with dsrpcd except failure to start, and this is a problem external to dsrpcd (typically old connections not yet dropped). I think the best advice here is to trust dsrpcd - if it's there, it's OK.

And you are right (on UNIX) - this is the only indication that the server is "up". The server itself runs no processes. Connected clients and executing jobs are their own process group leaders.

The best way to determine whether the server is available (and you can script this) is to look for the disk shared memory segment, which has a key of 0cadecnnnn where nnnn is the version number in hex digits, for example 7511. The "ade" might be different if you're using an itag installation (which lets you change the shared memory key identifier).

Code: Select all

ipcs -m  |  grep adec
If this returns anything (the row from ipcs -m), then DataStage server is "up". If it returns nothing, then DataStage server is "down".

Windows Answer
Whether DataStage is up or down is more easily determined by checking whether the DataStage RESOURCE service is running.
If you'd prefer a similar approach to the above, use %DSHOME%\bin\shrdump instead of ipcs -m, usually the disk shared memory segment has ID 1 and the shared memory key is daecnnnn
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
trokosz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trokosz »

Just do a netstat -a | grep ds and you should see the dsrpcd in a LISTEN state on the port.....or as others said if you can login then it is Listening....or if your DataStage Admin then do a uv -admin -info.....But otherwise nothing per se "hangs"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Note that it is possible for DataStage to be up even though dsrpcd is not running. Clients and requests will not be able to connect, but jobs started will continue to run and new jobs can be started from already-running job sequences. These do not use the DataStage RPC mechanism. Connection via telnet will still be possible.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

Thanks a lot for all your answers.
Best regards,
Piotrek