Backwards job compatibility

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

garthmac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Backwards job compatibility

Post by garthmac »

I find myself in an awkward situation that I've never been in, but can't get out of for the next 2 weeks:

We are in the process of upgrading to DS 7.5.1a from 7.1. Can I export a job from 7.5.1a and import to 7.1? This is something I would never normally try, but my complex test job ran without any problems, even though some error messages were displayed on screen during the import to 7.1. (I should have made a note of these, but I can post them here later, if need be)

Regards

Garth
Garth
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Re: Backwards job compatibility

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

Well, backward compatibility normally is never garanteed..... ;-) I would not recommend to rely on this.

What you could do is provide a separate "test" environment for 7.1 to check if it works, and then do the final import.

However, I would recommend to upgrade your target server to 7.51A to avoid this kind of issues... ;-)

Klaus
garthmac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by garthmac »

Thanks Klaus,

The problem I have is that the 7.1 production server cannot be upgraded until 2 weeks time, meanwhile our 7.1 dev server is being decomissioned and all code copied to the new 7.5.1a server. Crazy, I know, so if I have to make any emergency job fixes, these have to be created as 7.5.1a jobs, then moved to 7.1 production!! :shock:
Garth
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

What you should do is create a project in production for emergency bug fixes and do them there. You're introducing a chance for more errors and unaccountable issues. Or, re-install 7.1 on the same development server (both can be installed).

Next time you do an upgrade like this, you need to co-install the next version on the same server. This is a new feature that will avoid these problems.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
garthmac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by garthmac »

Thanks for the advice Ken. I didn't know about the co-install on the same server.
Garth
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can try changing the internal version number in the dsx file (from 50 to 36 for example) to correspond to the internal version number in jobs in each version.

Most things will then import, though with warnings (the new functionality will necessarily be discarded). No guarantees, and you may need to recompile.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.