Passing parameter to Job Activity in a Job Sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Passing parameter to Job Activity in a Job Sequence

Post by narasimha »

Is there a possibility to pass a job name as a parameter to a Job Activity in a sequence job. :?:

Details...

I have a complex job sequence consisting of many jobs.
I need to replicate the job sequence by changing the job names in a few Job Activities.
Wanted to know if there is a way I could parameterize the job name in the Job Activity.
If no Is there is any other approach?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
sri1dhar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sri1dhar »

I don't think you can parameterize the job name in job activity. The other approach is to develop a routine to call the job. Routine takes the job name and job parameters as parameters. Call the routine in the sequence using routine activity with job name as parameter.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If the entire sequence, with the exception of a few jobs, needs to be run again, then the simplest way is to make a copy of that job and then change the few jobs you want to be changed.
IMHO.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The routine exists; it's in the SDK and it's called UtilityRunJob. If you don't like exactly how it works, clone and customise.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

Thanks Ray

Exactly what I wanted. :D
But I guess there is one gotcha, there is no way to encrypt the parameters, or is there?
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Only by passing a reference to an encrypted parameter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.