CFF Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jshurak
Participant

CFF Stage

Post by jshurak »

I set up a CFF stage to grab is source data from a text file. I have the column metadata imported from the same text file. When I try to view data, I can see that the column lengths are correct, but the is no actual data. Any idea what might be causing this?
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: CFF Stage

Post by rwierdsm »

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but is the file layout AND the data in the same file :?:

If so, then the CFF stage is probably looking at the first line(s) of the file, which may be blank, or contain info from the file layout. Data and meta data have to be in different files.

Please expand your description of the issue.

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
jshurak
Participant

Post by jshurak »

Even when I manually enter the metadata values, I still can't see any data when I select view data.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

What is the size of your source file?
Why exactly are you using CFF stage?
Did you try accessing the file with seq. file stage? What happens when you do, dont worry about junk data, right now confirm if you are able to view it.
Also, make sure you are sourcing the correct file.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jshurak
Participant

Post by jshurak »

the source file will be around 20,000 records. I'm using the CFF stage because the "business" wants it done that way. The whole process is set up through three jobs: (there may be unecessary steps)

ODBC (runs a create table statement in our DB2 database)

ODBC(runs the query and extracts from Oracle)--->transformer(trimming and such)--->seq.file to a designated location.

CFF(source is the Seq. File ) ----> DB2 bulk load

I'm sure there's a much simpler and easier, this is just the first thing to come to my mind.

thanks for the help
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

If you have loaded the meta data for the stage (source columns tab), but have not chosen any columns on the "Select Columns" tab then it will return nothing as you are getting if there is lingering metadata. You can look at the destination column tab once the select columns tab is clear to see if there might be a lingering (hard to remove) column there. If so then this can cause your problems.

Also, make sure the data types for the columns are correct. Remeber the CFF does not read delimited files, rather a row is fixed width so make sure there are no varchar data types and make sure the width is correct. This means that the input file should be fixed width also.

Regards
jshurak
Participant

Post by jshurak »

Thank you for all your help. I just learned that I don't need the CFF stage after all (!!!) I believe the error did lie in the use of varchar data types. I will have to remember that for next time.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You never needed it in the first place. I guess the client gave you a break. :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.