Conflict of resources by two or more jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

i_icyin
Participant

Conflict of resources by two or more jobs

Post by i_icyin »

Hi All!

I am a new member of the forum and am very pleased to be on board.
I have a situation here................what happens if two or more data stage jobs try to access the same routine at same time. If error is returned how can we resolve the error. Both the jobs try to use same resources. So I have to check if any other job is using the resources..........if so the job has to wait but not trigger an error msg. So this is the job situation. HOW can I know if a job is already using the resources and if so how can I make a job wait untill the other job has released the resources.Any replies pls .............post 'em

thanks ,

cin
Krazykoolrohit
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Krazykoolrohit »

did you get this type of error ? can you please paste the error message.

From what i know, the routines can be invoked multiply.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

1. Job scheduling to avoid conflicts
2. Locking mechanisms (such as lock a row in a table for update during the duration of the Routine call, if another job calls the routine it will stall until it can get the lock)

Why are there issues with the same file? Are you writing to a file in a Routine? Hopefully not as part of a transformation exercise, but more like job control stuff. If so, DS BASIC has locking mechanisms if you're using OPENSEQ and WRITESEQ. Check it out.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

We are glad to have you on board but please do not start multiple posts on the same topic.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.