MQ Stage - Batch or Realtime

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

MQ Stage - Batch or Realtime

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

I don't have so much experience with Real time ETL products. My understanding is that MQ Series is usually used in real time processing to consume messages produced a registered source.

So my questions are:

1. Does the MQ Stage perform any real time functionality. Or does it just read messages in batch when I explicitly schedule my job to run?

2. Is the MQ stage suppose/has to be run with RTI/Soa package?

3. If I do use MQ stage within the Soa package, do I get any benefit?

Your input is appreciated.

Greg
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Greg,
To answere your question #2 and #3:
A MQ Server is required to be installed on the same server that DataStage resides in order for MQ Stage to work. I don't think MQ Stage must be run with RTI/SOA. I have had a terrible experience with MQ Server because of all kinds of versions incompatible problems with either the JRE or the DataStage server. I think you will also get some problems with 7.5x2 EE. I was told by Ascential using lower version of MQ Server with DS 7.5 server edition as a workaround or wait for the Hawk release(late this year?).

If you are going into a lot of SOA stuff, I would suggest you to wait for the Hawk release. One benefit you gain right here is that you don't have to spending too much time to put MQ and/or RTI/SOA to work on your 7.5x2 EE server. I was told by Ascential that Hawk comes with a built-in MQ server and uses a WebSphere App Server (J2EE compliant server) as the mid-tier. With a J2EE compliant server available, then you know you can code/build/deploy the same things such as Web Service, JMS, EJB, XML, etc. that RTI/SOA, MQ Stage, Web Services PACK, Java PACK, etc. are trying to provide. That's another benefit that you will gain.

It's just my 2 cents.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Thanks for your response lstsaur.

I have a couple other questions:

If RTI/Soa package is not needed, how does a job with the MQ stage run? Does it run in batch, or in real time. In other words, when I run my job, does it read all the messages available from the queue, and then terminate? Or is the job somehow running and listening for new messages on the queue?

- Greg
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Without RTI/SOA, nothing is 'real time'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Can't answer that as I have no experience with using that stage. It's not even one that's installed here.

We do have the SOA Edition and I don't recall any discussion of MQ Series in the documentation. Someone who has both, or more experience in general with that stage, needs to chime in.
-craig

trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

I have used the MQSeries stage to run 24X 7-ish. We shut it down every Sunday night. You are very close in your last post. There are three ways to stop a DS Server job that takes queue messages as input.
1. By number of messages read
2. After a certain amount of inactivity.
3. With a Stop message.

We started the job from the command line and it would read real-time for 6 days. As messages were received into the queue, the running job would read and process them (Beware Transaction Control!). We would feed the queue with a specific stop message (via another DS job) and the MQ job would stop.

Our Vendor would input into a CICS system, XML messages were emitted and two seconds later the DS job would insert the data into our ODS Oracle database. Real-time.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... interesting. Good to know! :D
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Even real time is a continuously running job with a "listener" awaiting some input, unless the job startup time is acceptable (a small proportion of the overall execution time).
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

trobinson wrote: We would feed the queue with a specific stop message (via another DS job) and the MQ job would stop.
Thanks.

I didn't think of using another DS job to send the message. I thought I was going to have to do that outside of DataStage.

- Greg