DataStage handler problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anshumangupta1206
Participant

DataStage handler problem

Post by anshumangupta1206 »

Dear All,
I got one error in Designer stating "-Controller problem: Unhandled abort encountered in job MappsMDI205ProjectsExtractJob".

The above error occured while job was executing through Designer, the job aborted while running and log is showing this error only. I feel this is some internal DataStage problem but not sure.

One more thing when i re-executed the job , it ran successfully.

Thanks for help in advance.
wed
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello - I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you with this, at least until it happens again. It is like saying "my car engine wouldn't start last week, but now it's running find. What was the problem?"

Jobs run the same way when started in the Designer, the Director and the command line, so that wouldn't have caused your problem. Next time it happens, try resetting the job and looking at the log entry for "from previous run"
anshumangupta1206
Participant

Post by anshumangupta1206 »

Arndw,
Thanks for you help. Apologies, I got message in the Director log itself not Designer. Only this message is coming after setting environment variable set-ups as per the log.

ArndW wrote:Hello - I don't think anyone is going to be able to help you with this, at least until it happens again. It is like saying "my car engine wouldn't start last week, but now it's running find. What was the problem?"

Jobs run the same way when started in the Designer, the Director and the command line, so that wouldn't have caused your problem. Next time it happens, try resetting the job and looking at the log entry for "from previous run"
wed
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Is this MappsMDI205ProjectsExtractJob your job which got aborted or this a job which is called by the aborted Sequence or batch.
If so what is the actual error log of the job MappsMDI205ProjectsExtractJob?
By the time when this happen, is that the only job been called?
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's obviously a message from a Sequence job with the 'Automatically handle activities that fail' enabled. MappsMDI205ProjectsExtractJob is a job it was running that aborted and the Sequence decided to handle.

You need to dig into the log of the job that failed to find out why... what you posted isn't an issue, it's the normal functioning of a Sequence job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ArndW wrote:Jobs run the same way when started in the Designer, the Director and the command line, so that wouldn't have caused your problem.
Not quite true. :wink:

The difference? Jobs run from the Designer default to allowing unlimited warnings, which fools many people into thinking their job 'ran fine' because the links all end up green, while the log may be chock full o' warnings. Run from the Director (or inherit a limit from a Sequence) and it aborts when it hits the warning limit.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers