Difference between Control job and Sequencer....

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Peace
Participant

Difference between Control job and Sequencer....

Post by Peace »

Hi All,

I am very new to Sequencer.I am little bit confort in Datastg server jobs.I do not have samples for sequencer anymore and any guides ,help files.

So help me pls.
My 1st question is where can I get the sequencer guide?
2nd is:

What is the difference between Control job and Squencer job?
I am thinking as :
Control(batch) job collect the specific jobs and run sequentially like batch programs.
Also sequencer job does run the specific jobs sequentially like batch job I think.
So,may I know what's the difference between them and when I suppose to use the batch job and Sequencer job?

Thank in advance,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

A job sequence is a graphical means for creating a job control routine; having created and compiled a job sequence you can inspect the job control code in the sequence's job properties (on the Job Control tab).

A batch (created in Director) is also a way of creating a job control routine.

Job control routines can also be created by hand, or using the Add Job facility, in the job properties of a server job, again on the Job Control tab.

So, a "control job" is a server job in which there exists a job control routine. A "job sequence" is exactly the same, except that the job control routine is graphically created, so DataStage gives it a different job type (job sequence rather than server job).

The job control code in a job sequence is read only, so that you can not break the nexus between the graphical design and the job control routine code.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Peace
Participant

Post by Peace »

Hi Ray,

Thanks so much for your answer.
BTW,where can I find the doc for sequencer jobs?
I tried to create one sequencer job but whenever I put the Jobactivity tool to the repositry and then clicking properties,the job becomes hanging and I have to make End Task.
I don't know how to develop the sequencer jobs at all.So,could you pls let me know where the concerning documents are?

Thanks so much for your answer and time,
Peace

ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard. :D

A job sequence is a graphical means for creating a job control routine; having created and compiled a job sequence you can inspect the job control code in the sequence's job pr ...
Klaus Schaefer
Participant

Post by Klaus Schaefer »

The sequencer functionality is described in the "Designer Guide". Have a look at you DS client installation:

Start/All Programs/Ascential Datastage/DataStage Docu 7.51A and choose "Designer Guide".

Best regards
Klaus
Peace
Participant

Post by Peace »

Wow, I got it.Thank you so much Klaus........

Klaus Schaefer wrote:The sequencer functionality is described in the "Designer Guide". Have a look at you DS client installation:

Start/All Programs/Ascential Datastage/DataStage Docu 7.51A and choose "Designer Guide".

Best regards
Klaus
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Peace wrote:I tried to create one sequencer job but whenever I put the Jobactivity tool to the repositry and then clicking properties,the job becomes hanging and I have to make End Task.
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed? You'll need the 'SP2 Patch' to resolve problems like that, if that is the case. Download it from the eServices website.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Please call it sequence and not sequencer. A sequencer is a stage type used in a job sequence. We do not want to upset Ray. Job sequence and batch job are the proper terms. Be nice to Ray. He has been nice to us.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

And just for completeness, please always say 'hashed file' not 'hash file'. That gets him going, too. :lol:
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I make some allowances for brand-new posters. :D

But not in the case of misplaced or misused apostrophes! :twisted:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah yes, that too. To misquote an old Genesis song 'The Apostrophe Police Never Sleeps'. :lol:
-craig

Peace
Participant

Post by Peace »

Thanks for all of your teaching.I am very new to Sequence Job.
Thank you guys...

:)