need sql help for select min

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

kris007 wrote:
sb_akarmarkar wrote:
But you are converting date to char and then applying the MIN to char value
I think it should be.. TO_CHAR(MIN(PERIOD.PERSTR_0), 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS')) ...
It didn't work for me when I tried using what you have mentioned and hence I stuck to what I mentioned and it was working fine for me i.e. giving the desired results.

Why dont you try sql in database and see result .... i am sure you will get more clarification...

Thanks,
Anupam
poonamgoyal
Participant

Re: need sql help for select min

Post by poonamgoyal »

well i have some simple query using subqueries if you want to try:

SELECT PERIOD.CPY_0,PERIOD.FIYNUM_0,PERIOD.PERNUM_0, TO_CHAR(PERIOD.PERSTR_0, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),
FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD
WHERE PERIOD.PERSTR_0 IN (SELECT MIN(TO_CHAR(PERIOD.PERSTR_0, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS')) FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD)

IT works for my table don't know about your specifications whether to use subqueries or not as i m a fresher to datastage... u just see to it if it helps
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

poonamgoyal wrote:well i have some simple query using subqueries if you want to try:

SELECT PERIOD.CPY_0,PERIOD.FIYNUM_0,PERIOD.PERNUM_0, TO_CHAR(PERIOD.PERSTR_0, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),
FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD
WHERE PERIOD.PERSTR_0 IN (SELECT MIN(TO_CHAR(PERIOD.PERSTR_0, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS')) FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD)

IT works for my table don't know about your specifications whether to use subqueries or not as i m a fresher to datastage... u just see to it if it helps

It is fine .... use it in user-defined query
small modification need to do it for query...

FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD
WHERE PERIOD.PERSTR_0 IN (SELECT MIN(PERIOD.PERSTR_0) FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD)

Thanks,
Anupam
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Since MIN can only be a single value, your WHERE clause can be made more efficient (depending on whether the query optimizer does this anyway). Relace "IN" with "=" as the comparison operation.

Code: Select all

WHERE PERIOD.PERSTR_0 = (SELECT MIN(PERIOD.PERSTR_0) FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD) 
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
poonamgoyal
Participant

Post by poonamgoyal »

sb_akarmarkar wrote:
poonamgoyal wrote:well i have some simple query using subqueries if you want to try:

FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD

It is fine .... use it in user-defined query
small modification need to do it for query...

FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD
WHERE PERIOD.PERSTR_0 IN (SELECT MIN(PERIOD.PERSTR_0) FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD)

Thanks,
Anupam
ya i knew it but just ignored amending it for developer to take care as where he want to format
poonamgoyal
Participant

Post by poonamgoyal »

ray.wurlod wrote:Since MIN can only be a single value, your WHERE clause can be made more efficient (depending on whether the query optimizer does this anyway). Relace "IN" with "=" as the comparison operation.
[cod ...
I never knew about this use of '=' thanks, i tried it works fine, if it improves performance then i got a good performance tuning tip from you
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

SELECT A.CPY_0, A.FIYNUM_0, A.PERNUM_0, TO_CHAR(A.PERSTR_0, 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),
FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD A
WHERE A.PERSTR_0 = (SELECT MIN(B.PERSTR_0) FROM #LNomDos#.PERIOD B WHERE B.CPY_0 = A.CPY_0)

One more .. Previously totaly overlook..

Thanks,
Anupam
poonamgoyal
Participant

Post by poonamgoyal »

what is the need of creating these aliases as it ll add to performance overhead i think
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

poonamgoyal wrote:what is the need of creating these aliases as it ll add to performance overhead i think
If you look at query you will understand need of aliases and it wont add any overhead ,just increases your readability ...

Thanks,
Anupam