X-Stages in ETL cycle

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bmnaidu
Charter Member
Charter Member

X-Stages in ETL cycle

Post by bmnaidu »

Hi All,
Am sorry if am into a wrong forum. But I can't understand where to put this question.

Am new to DataStage and am only only using that. My client he also wants to implement AuditStage and QualityStage. Some how I managed to get some knowledge in DataStage by developing different jobs. Now AuditStage and QualityStage, I have gone through this forum and I could able to understand and also on MetaStage. Very very interesting and to be honest learnt a lot out of this.
I came to know there are some other stages like ProfileStage etc.
Now I want to know the sequence of operation in the grand scheme of ETL cycle and some information about MetaStage, ProfileStage (and any other XS??)

I want to know what is what ...?

Guys please help me..

Thanks in advance.
Thanks and Regards
NAIDU BUDDHA
cecilia
Participant

X-Stages in ETL cycle

Post by cecilia »

Hi,
Even you can think you can know DataStage making a couple of jobs, this is a very powerful tool you never end to know deeply.
The other "X-stages" products are complex too.
These products belong now to IBM, then my best recomendation is to contact them for a demostration and explanation of its position in the Enterprise Data Integration world as well as the roadmap for each one (for instance, MetaStage is being replaced).
Regards,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The reseller from which your client purchased DataStage should also be able to supply technical information about, and technical presentations of, the other products in the suite.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bmnaidu
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmnaidu »

Thanks Ray.
The problem is as of now I don't have that material. We didn't receive the docs/technical articles. Till that time to have a basic knowledge on all these stages which I can/have to use later in my project.

Please let me know where can I get the info abt the different stages or atleast a high level understanding.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks and Regards
NAIDU BUDDHA
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, these 'X-Stages' are additional products in the tool suite, not simply new stages. Without any help from your reseller, I'd suggest you start at the official website - here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bmnaidu
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmnaidu »

Thanks Chulett.
Now I could able to learn some thing about Quality and Meta Stages.

But still I can't understand the following :
1) Is there any case or necessity where we use all or some of these ie AuditStage, MetaStage, DataStage, ProfileStage etc. in a single project. If so, what is the order of these in the project's life cycle.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks and Regards
NAIDU BUDDHA
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The third-last paragraph in the previous post describes MetaStage without actually naming it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Seems like it's hacked out of something like a PowerPoint presentation: "Let me describe the elements of the Ascential suite starting from the center and working out"...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sud »

chulett wrote:Seems like it's hacked out of something like a PowerPoint presentation: "Let me describe the elements of the Ascential suite starting from the center and working out"...
:lol: :lol: The IBM website is the best place for such airy stuff about X-Stages. Check this out.
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.