Resize VOC file to type 30

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jeff_ogletree
Charter Member
Charter Member

Resize VOC file to type 30

Post by jeff_ogletree »

As a tuning suggestion, I have been advised to change the VOC file type to 30 as follows:

from project2, issue command to create a pointer to VOC in project1
SETFILE ../project1/VOC TEMPVOC
RESIZE TEMPVOC 30
then delete the pointer

Easy enough to do, but I'm wondering about the benefits vs the risks. Has anyone else tried this? If this is a good thing, why isn't the product shipped this way?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can not resize VOC while anything is active in that project. You would need to SETFILE from a different project.

Whence did you get this suggestion? I disagree heartily with it. While it is true that VOC can be a dynamic hashed file, there is no great gain, and higher risk of corruption. Resizing to a larger static hashed file would be a safer approach.

Remember, losing the VOC is catastrophic! All your routines are cataloged there, not to mention all the commands upon which DataStage relies.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jeff_ogletree
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by jeff_ogletree »

Thanks Ray. I agree with you completely...just needed some affirmation.

The advice is from PS GSC, and they are handing it out to customers. It's actually an attempt to increase performance for a few server jobs that are poorly designed to handle realistic amounts of data. I would guess that the VOC is not utilized by a running job much, once it starts executing, so I'm not sure there is much performance to gain there at all. I have resized the VOC (carefully) in a development environment without any adverse results. I'm not sure I would ever take that leap on a production project.

Thanks again.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Tell 'em from me... :evil: :twisted: :x
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.