Automatic DataStage Maintenance

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mauherga
Participant

Automatic DataStage Maintenance

Post by mauherga »

Hi all,

Does any one know if its posible (and how) to make a process that geive automatic maintenance to DataStage. I have a set of activities to do every week in order to keep DataStage in the best conditions, this activities are:

- Stop (manualy) all the jobs in run state
- Kill (UNIX) every DataStage process that continue run
- CLEAN.ACCOUNT
- DS.TOOLS (2,4)
- turn down DataStage
- turn up DataStage
- compile all the jobs in every project (Run Multiple Job Compile: DS Manager)

Can I make this automaticaly (in or out of DataStage)?

Thank's !!
maurik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You do this every week? :shock:

I don't recall ever needing to do anything like this unless SHGVVW - Something Had Gone Very, Very Wrong.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Automatic DataStage Maintenance

Post by DSguru2B »

Here are my views

- Stop (manualy) all the jobs in run state

Two contradictory statements, automatic and manually. Hmm, dont know what to say. And by the way, stopping jobs that are running without any specific reason is not a very good idea. These jobs could be accessing a database and by passing a stop command you might have an open thread to a database and possibly a runaway process. You might want to think about that.
- Kill (UNIX) every DataStage process that continue run

A unix kill is like a last resort and should be avoided at all costs. If you still want to automate that you can build it in a script by ps -ef and grepping on the user id. But keep in mind, the unix script should be running under a differend id or even that will get killed

- CLEAN.ACCOUNT
Define clean account. You mean the &COMO& and &PH& folders ? Even that can be scripted.

- DS.TOOLS (2,4)
What option is that again, i dont have access to datastage at the moment so cant really comment on that. But i believe you can script that as well by getting into the uv account

- turn down DataStage
You can code intelligence to make sure no jobs are running when you bring down DataStage. Again, it can be coded

- turn up DataStage
Can be coded and scripted.

- compile all the jobs in every project (Run Multiple Job Compile: DS Manager)
you can pass a dsjob -reset command from unix by passing all the job names from a project. Again depends upon your scripting skills
Can I make this automaticaly (in or out of DataStage)?
Yes you can, at the unix level

Thank's !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

CLEAN.ACCOUNT will clean the VOC. It can be dangerous if you delete some of the file pointers that DataStage needs. This is another TCL command.
Mamu Kim
mauherga
Participant

Post by mauherga »

Thanks at both !!!
maurik
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ok... I'm still questioning the need to do things like this on a weekly basis, it just seems total overkill to me. Am I missing something here? Is this something that other people do? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

No, absolutely not. I think daily exporting all the jobs is important in a busy development environment. Weekly is good enough for exporting production projects.

You cannot reindex all files without exclusive access. Nor is there a need for reindexing or CLEAN.ACCOUNT unless something unusual shows up when you are using DataStage.

I do think you should reboot servers once a week if possible. Servers seem to run faster after a reboot.
Mamu Kim
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I, personally agree with you Craig. Such a need arises if 'SHGVVW' :twisted:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mauherga
Participant

Post by mauherga »

Hi,

The reason for implement that frecuency for our maintenance is because in the first months of this year, we have a really SHGVVW !!!.

After get in this forum, we can solve a lot of problems and I think now we have to implement a new maintenance to keep our DataStage working in the best contitions.

Because of that, we continue working in learning, asking, learning and whatching this forum.

Any suggest for a estandard set of maintenance activities?

Thanks again !!!!
maurik