load two diff text files using single sequential file stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amar_nath
Participant

Post by Amar_nath »

hey ArndW ,

I told earlier that i dont want to run it in sequence and so u suggested me the multiple instances and now i have 2 instances of the same job but i m unable to run them simultaniously.

thak you.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Amar - there is nothing stopping you running these at the same time. You wanted to know how to start them at the same time and the answer that you got was "use a sequence". You can start the jobs at the same time from the command line using dsjob or from the director (you can't click on both and run them, but you can type really quickly to almost get the same time or start two director sessions and try to get both instances started simultaneously).
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

Amar_nath wrote:hey ArndW ,

I told earlier that i dont want to run it in sequence and so u suggested me the multiple instances and now i have 2 instances of the same job but i m unable to run them simultaniously.

thak you.
I think better to go with one job with 2 link from one sequential file stage to one target stage...
SeqSatge(File1,file2)------>ODBCStage(Target)
file1----> link1----->target
file2----->link2----->target

Thanks,
Anupam
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Amar_nath wrote:i have 2 instances of the same job but i m unable to run them simultaniously.
I'm lost... why the heck not? That's the whole point of these kind of jobs - so you can run the same job multiple times at the same time.

Highlight the main job in the Director, click 'Run', supply a unique Invocation ID along with any parameters and go. Lather, rinse, repeat. Works great.

What happens when you try it?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Craig - he marked both jobs in the director and wished to start them together and when you do that the "run" button greys out.
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

chulett wrote:
Amar_nath wrote:i have 2 instances of the same job but i m unable to run them simultaniously.
I'm lost... why the heck not? That's the whole point of these kind of jobs - so you can run the same job multiple times at the same time.

Highlight the main job in the Director, click 'Run', supply a unique Invocation ID along with any parameters and go. Lather, rinse, repeat. Works great.

What happens when you try it?
I think after validation he might selected both job and try to click run button as it get disable if select 2 or more jobs....... :D

Thanks,
Anupam
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ok... you've never been able to 'multi-run' jobs like that that I've ever seen. What would be so wrong with starting them one after another in quick succession I wonder? Or what's so horrible about the 'put both jobs in a Sequence job' idea? :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Amar_nath
Participant

Post by Amar_nath »

ya anupam i tried the same,

and i dont want to run it using command line.

can i do that ?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Marking several jobs disables the RUN button. This is because each job can have different parameters (both names, number and values) and different settings. This has never functioned and probably never will be implemented. I think you've gotten quite a few suggestions on the different ways to implement this; so far I've only seen you say you don't want to do it in the ways suggested - this is of no use to anyone who wants to assist you since we are working by trial and error....

So far you can:
1. call them up concurrently in one director by typing really quickly
2. call them up concurrently in 2 director sessions by pre-typing and then mouse-clicking very quickly
3. call them up concurrently from a sequence job (the optimal way)
4. call them up concurrently from the dsjob command, either in a script or by typing very quickly
5. putting both "flows" parallel to each other in a single server job
6. Using the scheduler to start the 2 concurrent jobs at the same time.

What do you want?