How to retrieve Cleared Log Entries.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ysrini9
Participant

How to retrieve Cleared Log Entries.

Post by ysrini9 »

Hi All,

Accidentally someone cleared the dslog file entries.Could you please suggest me how to recover " Cleared Log Entries "

Regards
srini
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You cannot, they are permanently gone.

p.s. I just cleared out several thousand jobs in development earlier today. You wouldn't happen to be working for a bank, would you?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you have system backups you can recover. Restore RT_LOGnnn (a hashed file) so any location, and create a VOC pointer to it, with D_RT_LOG as the file dictionary pointer.

You now have whatever entries were backed up accessible. You can extract the entries using DataStage/SQL or even a DataStage job.

You can not, however, extract them using Director.

Do not even contemplate putting old entries back into the job log; the purge will have changed values in certain control records which renders this task impossible (without manually changing the control records).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ysrini9
Participant

Post by ysrini9 »

Is there a way to find out who has cleared the log ?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, there is no way to find out who manually cleared a log or which process triggered an autopurge, this information is not part of the audit trail.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And even if there were, it would turn out to be dsapi_slave if initiated from a Director client.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.