DataStage Question

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

scoope
Participant

DataStage Question

Post by scoope »

Hello,

I am new to the dsxchange and I am in need of some help. I am curious to how the DataStage Windows Clients connect to the UNIX server. Is it via ssh or via telnet? Please advise as we need to disable telnet and want to know if this will effect production.

Thanks,
Seth
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Welcome Aboard :)

First of all. Clarify some things for us.
Is your DataStage server on windows or unix?
What do you mean by disabling telnet?
Telnet is a protocol that runs on individual pcs. I dont see how that is going to affect anything other than taking away the connection between DataStage client interface and the server.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
scoope
Participant

Sorry for duplicate post.

Post by scoope »

Sorry for the duplicate post.

We run DataStage on a UNIX Server and we connect to it thru the Windows Client.

We are running DataStage Enterprise Edition 7.5.

We need to disable telnet for security reasons and have everybody connect to the UNIX server via ssh (thru putty). We want to disable telnet and need to know if this will effect the way the DataStage client connects to the server.

DSguru2B wrote:Welcome Aboard :)

First of all. Clarify some things for us.
Is your DataStage server on windows or unix?
What do you mean by disabling telnet?
Telnet is a protocol that runs on individual pcs. I dont see how that is going to affect anything other than taking away the connection between DataStage client interface and the server.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage clients connect via a proprietary protocol called DS Objects. The dsprc daemon listens on port number 31538 (or, if you are running a version earlier than 6.0, on 31438). Disabling telnet (port 23) will not affect the operation of DataStage.

If you still want to telnet to the DataStage server, you can use SSH (port 22) even if port 23 is disabled.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dnsjain
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by dnsjain »

Hi,

I am also running similar environment. Is there a way to force password expiration to the DataStage users, If DataStage is not using telnet.

Thanks,
Dinesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage uses the user's operating system identity. That's where you would enforce password change.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.