need help for data migration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rafik2k
Participant

need help for data migration

Post by rafik2k »

Hi All,
i am handling one data migration project. In the source there 54 database having around 900+ tables. now clients wants to migrate data (around 500+ table) in the target(db2) after transformation and apply business rule. For this they r planning to have one EDM in staging area. also they planned to use profile stage for cleansing, removing duplication and integration etc?

what i am thiking why EDM in staging area, it should be in target.
And also as far i know datstage server job is sufficent for data migration.

My question are
1-> Is there any benefit i can gain of using EDM in staging area ?
2-> Is DS server job sufficient for handling all cleansing operation or we need to have
profile stage for that?

i have little bit knowldege of data migration.

please help me!!

Any idea and suggestion will be very much help ful to me.

Thanks and Regard,

Rafiq
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The EDM is in the staging area, which means data is moved from the old database into a staging area and then into the target. The staging database lets you keep data is close to raw form. It lets you track changes to the raw data over time. It lets you profile the state of that data. It is a good design as I assume they will have parallel systems for a while.
rafik2k
Participant

Post by rafik2k »

Hi vmcburney,
but thing is that they want to implement EDM in staging area after transformation, just a replica of the target.

Does it help us for target environment.

my suggestion is instead of in the staging area, there will be EDM only for target.
correct me if i am wrong.

--rafiq
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ProfileStage does not perform cleansing - it is only an analysis tool. You need DataStage, and possibly QualityStage, to perform cleansing.

I prefer to use Sequential Files in staging areas, since they are written to and read from faster than anything else.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The primary function of the EDM appears to be tracking changes to data over time, for the purposes of auditing and rollback. Whether you stage raw data or transformed data isn't a big deal. The process of staging can be beneficial for auditing, rollback and troubleshooting.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:oops: Ok... perhaps I am exposing some fundamental lack of knowledge here, but... EDM? That's a new TLA for me.

A search turns up things like Electrical Discharge Machining and Essential Drugs and Medicine. Somehow, I don't think that is correct. :lol:

Can someone throw me a bone?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

chulett wrote:Can someone throw me a bone?
Me too. I was thinking Enterprise Data Mart but that seems a contradiction in terms.

Rob
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

EDM. hmmm. I know i have heard that before. I think it mean Electronic Document Management or Enterprise data management. One of those two. Can someone verify that please.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's gotta be Essential Drugs and Mmmmmm....

or a kind of cheese originating in the Netherlands.

:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

ray.wurlod wrote:or a kind of cheese originating in the Netherlands.

:lol:
Edaaam..... Hmmmmmmmm....
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com