DataStage user permissions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sri1dhar
Charter Member
Charter Member

DataStage user permissions

Post by sri1dhar »

Can I setup a DS user that can only view job design thru Designer but cannot run jobs? The existing "DataStage Developer" role gives permissions to both design and run jobs.

Regards
Sri
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

That's a tough requirement. Short answer: No. You could consider people looking at jobs a restricted activity to development servers only.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
sri1dhar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by sri1dhar »

Thanks Kenneth. I guess we have to limit access to development as suggested.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Publish the designs on your intranet, using the documentation generator in version 7.5. Then anyone can look at the design there without needing to invoke the client tools.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
stan_taylor
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by stan_taylor »

You could give your users Developer rights to a project that is protected, and when you promote jobs into the project (with Version Control), make sure the Read Only option set (yes, you could also go in and muck the readonly flag directly if you like that approach). The main thing in this scheme is to have separation between Developers and Production Managers so that Developers do not have the ability to change jobs. The benefit of this over publishing is that some functions like View Data can still be accomplished even though the job is read-only. Downside is you need to have the DS client, and maintain careful watch on who has what access.

Stan