unable to extend temp segment by 128 in tablespace TEMP2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bhaskarjha
Participant

unable to extend temp segment by 128 in tablespace TEMP2

Post by bhaskarjha »

Hi,
I am facing problem while extracting data from a view to a table through ETL. The view contains huge amount of data. The error which i am getting is "unable to extend temp segment by 128 in tablespace TEMP2". I have reported the same to DBA here & he had increased the memory of tablespace but still I am getting the same error.
Pls help.
Bhaskar Jha
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How can we help? It's a database problem. :?

Talk to your DBA. Have them increase the tablespace size. Again.

Either that or get some help tuning the view so it doesn't require so much temp space.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

Can you please advise some tuning tips? I have already created index on the table on which view is created. Thanks.
Bhaskar Jha
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Are you able to access and view the data from the View from command prompt.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

And by the way, creating index will eat up more table space. :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

Hello Kumar,
I am not able to view data by command line prompt also. There also I am getting the same error. Should I remove the index & then try?
Bhaskar Jha
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

bhaskarjha wrote:Can you please advise some tuning tips? I have already created index on the table on which view is created. Thanks.
No, not really, other than extremely generic stuff. Include the topic in your conversation with your DBA. Run an explain plan. Look for Bad Things that would cause operations to spill over to physical disk. Ask the DBA about the possibility of increasing the 'sort' and/or 'hash' area sizes in the SGA so it doesn't need temp disk so much.

Or just throw more TEMP2 space into the pot, he can always take it back later.

Kumar - but if done properly it can cut down on the amount of TEMP space required during execution of the query, which is the specific problem here. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Got your point Craig :D
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The view must be forcing the entire result set to resolve before streaming data, indications of this are use of GROUP BY in thedata. A SELECT * from the view must be more work than your current configuration can handle.

If you can't increase the TEMP space any more, than consider extracting subsets of the results data, allowing the database to resolve smaller sets of data. Ranged queries work here, or choose an integer based column and use the MOD technique to partition the data.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
bhaskarjha
Participant

Post by bhaskarjha »

Thanks a lot to all of you for your suggestion. The job is working fine now. We have allocated more space to tablespace, restarted the database & used partitioned table.
Thanks again :P
Bhaskar Jha