Inserting Data into single comma seperated row

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JezT
Participant

Inserting Data into single comma seperated row

Post by JezT »

I have a job that creates an output line set to VarChar 1000 and which is comma seperated. And example of 2 rows is shown below.
5,16083,,,LGD,0079.1200
5,16222,EAD,000000000000000010,LGD,0094.5300
As you can see from the second row, there is a value of EAD (Score Type Code) and it's related value (000000000000000010). In row one, this is missing as the data is not currently within the DB2 table I am extracting the data from.

The '5' is the Record Type and the 2nd value (16083, 16222) are the Key fields that all the following score types and values relate to.

Is it possible to carry out checks on each field within the row and to insert values in, if there is nothing there ? For example, in row 1 I would want to place EAD after the second comma and then a 'space' after the 3rd comma.

I have been looking at the substring function on help to check for a specified field but cannot seem to get it to work.

Any ideas ???
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

I don't see the real problem!

You might use Stage Variables:
If LEN(TRIM(abc.Value3))=0 THEN 'EAD' ELSE abc.Value3
If LEN(TRIM(abc.Value4))=0 THEN space(1) ELSE abc.Value4

seems easy to me, with basic DS-knowhow.
Wolfgang Hürter
Amsterdam
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The FieldStore() function can insert a value into a delimited string. Research it in on-line help or in the DataStage BASIC manual.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
JezT
Participant

Post by JezT »

I have looked at both solutions given and have managed to get the FieldStore function to work fine for the initial value. However, what I didn't point out initially is that there could be up to 50 Codes that will need inserting into the one output line so how do I use 50 FieldStore statements together ?

So my output line could look like :
5,16083,,,LGD,0079.1200,,,,,DEF,0089.1200
So I would need to insert EAD after 16083, and then another code after 0079.1200 and then another code after that and so on.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then it sounds like you'll need to write a custom routine and take an iterative approach.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That you didn't point it out initially is why, of course, we didn't answer it initially - we read the question and answered that.

I agree with Craig that you will need a Routine so that you can take an iterative approach - an expression containing 50 FieldStore() functions would probably exceed the maximum permitted length of an expression (8KB if my memory serves).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
narayana_382
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by narayana_382 »

Ray,

Kindly help us how do I proceed in writing a custom routine for implementing the iterative approach.

Thnks,
Narayana. :idea:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Design your algorithm on paper and from that produce a design plan and test plan. Generate some test cases and document these. In the Repository choose New Server Routine. Make sure that the routine type is "Transform Function" (this should be the default). Document the routine on the General tab. Give names and descriptions for arguments on the Arguments tab. Create the code on the Code tab. If your routine calls any other routines, document these on the Dependencies tab. Use the Compile and Test buttons (respectively) to compile and test your routine.