Data Type Varchar 1500

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yalamanchili
Participant

Data Type Varchar 1500

Post by yalamanchili »

Hi All,

i am having some problem with the column while loading data into data base using data stage.The column length on oracle data base was varchar(1500 char) and it cannot be changed.

but in data stage varchar of length greater than 500 is not supported. while running the server job i am getting this warning "Invalid precision value. Error in parameter 62." and the is not loading into this column.

Please tell me how can i solve this problem in data stage.

Waiting for your respnses.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Data Type Varchar 1500

Post by chulett »

yalamanchili wrote:but in data stage varchar of length greater than 500 is not supported. while running the server job i am getting this warning "Invalid precision value. Error in parameter 62." and the is not loading into this column.
Of course you can handle large string values in DataStage, I've loaded 4K - and upwards of 16K for LongVarChars. :?

What stage are you using to write to Oracle? How is the target field defined in your table - VARCHAR2(1500) or did you really mean VARCHAR(1500)? The fact that the word 'precision' appears in your error message implies to me that you are writing to a numeric field of some type, perhaps accidentally... are you using [drumroll] User Defined SQL? :shock:

If so, ensure all your columns and parameter markers are properly aligned so all fields are actually ending up in the right place in your table. Or let the stage generate the SQL.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you imported the table definition from Oracle, how was this particular column defined?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yalamanchili
Participant

Re: Data Type Varchar 1500

Post by yalamanchili »

Hi chulett,

Let me explain my problem clearly to you. In the oracle data base the column was declared as"VARCHAR2(1500 CHAR)," I am using ODBC Stage for connecting to the oracle data base. while importing definations for that column i have given it as varchar(1500). While executing the server jobs i am getting the warning Invalid Precision Value and the values are not inserted into the column.

Plese let me know if anything extra information is required.
Waitng for response.

chulett wrote:
yalamanchili wrote:but in data stage varchar of length greater than 500 is not supported. while running the server job i am getting this warning "Invalid precision value. Error in parameter 62." and the is not loading into this column.
Of course you can handle large string values in DataStage, I've loaded 4K - and upwards of 16K for LongVarChars. :?

What stage are you using to write to Oracle? How is the target field defined in your table - VARCHAR2(1500) or did you really mean VARCHAR(1500)? The fact that the word 'precision' appears in your error message implies to me that you are writing to a numeric field of some type, perhaps accidentally... are you using [drumroll] User Defined SQL? :shock:

If so, ensure all your columns and parameter markers are properly aligned so all fields are actually ending up in the right place in your table. Or let the stage generate the SQL.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the Columns grid on the link(s) where this column appears, what are the SQL Data Type and Precision settings?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
yalamanchili
Participant

Post by yalamanchili »

ray.wurlod wrote:In the Columns grid on the link(s) where this column appears, what are the SQL Data Type and Precision settings? ...
Hi,

In the Column Grid on link the sql data type was varchar and the length was 1500.

Other than this i have not given anything extra.

Please let me know if any extra information is required.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What makes you sure that this is the culprit? Could it be some other Char, Varcher or Numeric column that lacks any precision setting, or has an invalid precision setting, that might be the cause? Certainly the cobination VarChar and 1500 is perfectly valid.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, a Varchar(1500) field is perfectly valid and will not generate an 'Invalid Precision Value' warning. Search elsewhere for your problem - with some sort of a numeric column.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Please describe all stages used in this job, as your value may be getting lost in a prior stage and the error message relates to that stage.

Please paste the EXACT and ENTIRE message, as it often names the stage and link where the error is occurring.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
jojipjohn
Participant

varchar(1500) is valid and I have used this...

Post by jojipjohn »

varchar(1500) is valid and I have used this before... but I had aproblem when I used a column with datatype varchar(4000). This was not giving any error or warnings but it was inserting spaces into the target. This was resolved when I changed varchr ro char
Joji John
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Re: varchar(1500) is valid and I have used this...

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

jojipjohn wrote: while importing definations for that column i have given it as varchar(1500)

Have you provided it manually... Use whatever metadata coming for column after improting from database.

Thanks,
Anupam