Datastage administartion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsquestion
Participant

Datastage administartion

Post by dsquestion »

Hi all,

Can pls tell me the importance and precautions while handling .profile,.uvconfig,.dsenv,dsrpcservices,uv.account,voc in Datastage adminstration?

Your comments appreciated
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I posted scripts to back these up. Use those before editting any of these. Some of these can shutdown the engine completely. Some break ODBC connections. Not as important.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a .profile file (on UNIX) for each user who can log in. It is the "auto start" script for that user, and typically sets environment variables, alias definitions and the like. If the interactive user is likely to need DataStage commands on the server then you might like to include the DataStage bin directory in PATH, and perhaps to source the dsenv shell script, which does much the same thing as .profile but for all DataStage processes (which run as background process and so do not have a .profile to execute).

Don't ever touch .uvconfig - this is the result of a uvregen process to "compile" configuration from the uvconfig file (and some licensing information), and is the image of the shared memory segment that holds everything together in DataStage.

There is no file called .dsenv for DataStage. See above for dsenv shell script.

In general you would not need to edit the dsrpcservices file unless you want to restrict the nodes from which clients can connect or change the default inactivity timeout. The latter is more easily accomplished from the Administrator client General tab.

UV.ACCOUNT is one of many "system tables". It records the existence and location of DataStage projects. It is edited when you Add or Delete projects using the Administrator client, and should not be edited directly.

VOC is the name of the "vocabulary" hashed file maintained in each project. Again, in general, you should not need to access this directly; compiling a routine will, for example, create a vocabulary (or "catalog") entry in the VOC file indicating the existence and location of that routine's object code. The SETFILE command can be used to create a pointer to a hashed file that was created in a directory, so that the table definition may be imported.

And, as Kim says, all of these things are "system" files/tables. Make sure you have them (and others, such as uvodbc.config) backed up before effecting edits. That way you can always revert to a "last known good" situation.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Sun May 28, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Wow, Ray is quoting me now. :shock:
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Paraphrasing, at the very least. (A quote would have been attributed using Quote tags.) :)
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Can I get a mention? :)
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ray.wurlod wrote:And, as Kim says, ...
Not enough for you? :)
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Never mind.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Maybe it's time to change your sig, Kim. :lol:
-craig