DataStage Upgradation to 6.0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage Upgradation to 6.0

Post by Latha1919 »

Hi,

Generally, when we upgrade DataStage from one version to other, what all need to be taken care of such as Back up. Please list step by step the activities that needs to be done at the time of Upgradation.

I didnt find these activities in upgrade pdf document. However, they mentioned only the steps for installation and upgradation but not any others.

Please list some imporatant activities, needs to be taken care of while upgradaing.

Thanks,
Latha
satish_valavala
Participant

Post by satish_valavala »

One important thing is, make sure that you have all the latest COMPILED datastage code.
Regards
VS
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Some more points to be considered

Post by Latha1919 »

Satish,

Please give me some information on the activites to be taken care of before/during/after upgradation.

Thanks,
Latha
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The 'before' is simple - backups, as many as you can stand. This can include filesystem level backups and full exports of all projects on the server. In other words, whatever you would need to put the pieces back together if things go badly and you need to fall back to the original release.

During, nothing special that I can think of. After, pretty much the same other than whatever level of testing makes you feel comfortable with the fact that everything is still working.

For a UNIX server, I've found it wise to backup any changed configuration files you've tweaked - files like dsenv for example. You will need to restore any customizations to it post upgrade as it will probably have been set back to its default. And yes, this means stopping and restarting DataStage one more time after you retweak it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

chulett,

Other than back up, what else needs to be considered. I need specifically for Windows 2003. Any idea whether Windows 2003 supports Datastage 6.0.

Thanks,
Pushpa
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I have no idea if 6.x is supported on Win2003. My advice is 'agnostic', for any implementation of DataStage. I guess the biggest question is - is this a new install or an upgrade of an existing installation?

If the latter, then I assume you've already got all the 'bits' in place you would need. If not, then a new install will need all the ancillary software DataStage may reply on - for example, an Oracle client for the OCI software.

And as previously noted, in my opinion you are doing yourself a disservice by 'only' upgrading to 6. 7.5.1A is (more than likely, perhaps 7.5.2 now) the most current supported version across platforms and you would be better off to upgrade to that version. I don't see any need to you to even bother with 6. :?
-craig

Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

We are upgrading DataStage from V5.1 to V6.0. Actually, client has the license long back, but dropped to upgrade at that point of time. Now they are planning to go for upgradation.

Please let me know, what all needs to be taken care of before/during/after upgaradation to V6.0.

Thanks,
Pushpa
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Make sure you have a good backup (check it by reading its index).
Make sure you have a good export of each project (check it by a "fake import" - import selected then cancel).

Stop DataStage.

Install new server version, licensing same (projects will be upgraded automatically). There should be no problems between 5.2 and 6.0.

Start DataStage. Make sure the RPC daemon is running (check using DataStage applet on server's Control Panel).

Install new client version on users' PCs. Use a different location than the existing client. That way they will be able to revert easily if needed.

Install Multi-Client Manager (it may be called Client Switcher in version 6.0) on users' PCs so they can switch between the old and new versions if required.

Enjoy.

Plan to upgrade to current version. There are lots more goodies.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

Berfore doing upgration take project level backup, Job level back, routine backup and parameter file backup...

Thanks,
Anupam
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

Other than the back up what else needs to be considered such as security issues etc.

Thanks,
Latha
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

I guess currently no need of considering security issues...

Thanks,
Anupam
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

After - Recompile all the jobs.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmm... only if you are doing a new install or one where you import your old project export. An 'upgrade in place' of an existing installation will not require a recompile.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

But it wouldn't hurt, if you decide to do it "just to be sure". One of the new goodies that you won't get in 6.0 is the Multi-Job Compile tool, though there are third party tools, such as CompileWitch (written by Wolfgang Huerter) or Compile-All (from Tools4DataStage) that can do a similar thing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Latha1919
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Latha1919 »

Please let me know, if any other issues need to be considered during upgradation.

Thanks in advance,
Latha