phonthom error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sainath
Premium Member
Premium Member

phonthom error

Post by sainath »

Hi
I am getting following error.i am wondering where i have to check in my job.error information is not clear to me.
pl share your thoughts.
thks

DataStage Job 937 Phantom 8446
Program "JOB.2087327993.DT.1400364087.TRANS1": Line 343, Nonnumeric data when numeric required. Zero used.
Program "JOB.2087327993.DT.1400364087.TRANS1": Line 343, Nonnumeric data when numeric required. Zero used.
Program "JOB.2087327993.DT.1400364087.TRANS1": Line 343
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

This error usually occurs when you are using a link collector and the meta data specified for a certain column doesnt accord with the data. I believe you are using a link collector. Make sure that you have specified a numeric sql type for a column that contains numeric data. Examin the input and output links of the link collector.
I have seen this kind of error in jobs where i have used a link collector. If thats not the case with you then please specify what your job is trying to do, and what stages you are using so that we can identify the problem.
Regards,
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
sainath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sainath »

Hi
Thanks for your reply.i am not usiing link collector in my job.my job i am using sort stage,seq file and loading into OCI STAGE.this error is comming after insert sql in target.
The input data is sorted and i used hash file for look up.if match found then load data into target.
Is it possible that we just ignore this warning message.
thks
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Then, sort stage it is. You need to identify what column is giving you that problem. No, you cannot ignore the warning as it is forcing that value of that particular column to be 0.
These warnings are there for a reason, and in your case it is warning you that the value of that column will be forced to zero.
For debugging have your out put from the sort stage go into a transformer and in the constraint put @inrownum = 343.
Examine that row and see what column is being forced a value of zero. Once you identify that column then you need to go and define that as an integer so that the problem is solved.
OR
maybe its just bad data. IF in the table its specifed as non-numeric and the incoming value is numeric then you need to handle that.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Actually, TRANS1 is the compiled code from the first transformer stage in the job. Are you using stage variables there? Are you calling custom routines? Both of those can be sources of these kinds of phantom errors.

It mentions a specific line of code, you could go look at or very near it to get an idea of what is causing it. Inside your Project directory there will several directories for this job - job number 937. Look inside the RT_BP937 directory and there will be a text file there from each transformer stage. Look to see what is going on around line 343 in the one mentioned in the phantom.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sainath
Premium Member
Premium Member

hi

Post by sainath »

Hi
I am still anable to track the problem.it is almost 2 days i spent for this problem.do you mean to say that this problem occurs in first transformer of tha job.how to go to project directory.please share your thoughts.

thks
-Inside your Project directory there will several directories for this job - job number 937. Look inside the RT_BP937 directory and there will be a text file there from each transformer stage. Look to see what is going on around line 343 in the one mentioned in the phantom. --
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It may not be the first Transformer in your design, but it was the first one painted onto the design canvas. Comments in the code will tell you the name of the Transformer stage from which the code was generated.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You mean to say you have no idea where DataStage is installed or where the Projects you have defined live? :?

You will need access to the DataStage Server you are connecting to with your client. I'm not familiar with the directory structures on a Windows install but I'll assume it's close enough to a UNIX one to give you a push in the right direction.

There should be a 'main' DataStage directory. Under that, other major directories like DSEngine, Projects, and ud41 to mention a few. You'll need to locate the Projects directory. It is there that the RT_BP937 directory lives.

Note that this is just the default arrangement, it is perfectly valid to totally separate your Project directory from the main DataStage install. At worst case, get in touch with your DataStage administrator and have them point you to the right location. Then you can open the file noted in the phantom in your preferred text tool, Notepad at worst case.

ps. Thanks for the clarification, Ray.
-craig

DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Guys, i really think its the sort stage thats giving this internal phantom error. I dealt with this kind of error before with the link collector. The OP is not using a link collector in his job but he is using the sort stage. Maybe it works in the same way and is really cranky with numeric and non-numeric data being defined otherwise.
I just feel he needs to look at that particular row.
my 2 cents.
sainath
Premium Member
Premium Member

HI

Post by sainath »

hi
thank you very much for your reply.i got the problem.
thks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you've solved your problem, you really should post the solution back here as well. That way when future peoples with the same problem come searching, they'll be able to benefit from your pain. :wink:
-craig

sainath
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sainath »

Hi
It is not in sort stage.but in seq file.
In one of the column feild length is 5 but there is only one value.
and i passed this through stage variable change(Char(feild +64) , "@", " ").
but if you trim before sending through stage variable it works fine.
thanks for your help
thks