Routine to Call SQL Server Stored Proc?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zbethem
Charter Member
Charter Member

Routine to Call SQL Server Stored Proc?

Post by zbethem »

Anyone done this? I saw a previous post from awhile ago of a user trying to call a stored procedure through a routine. He was doing this in order to support input/output arguments. I have a similar problem:

I have a job that is similar in flow to:

Code: Select all

OCI --> StoredProc --> OCI
The important things to note:
1. The stored procedure has input args and returns output args
2. The stored procedure takes values from Oracle OCI, but lives in SQL Server
3. SQL Server stored procedures aren't supported in the standard DataStage StoredProc stage, so ODBC is the way

I'm thinking I could call the custom routine in a transformer thus making it flow like:

Code: Select all

OCI --> Transformer --> OCI
Thoughts?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
zbethem
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by zbethem »

Hehehe... good question.

We're trying to re-use code that has already been built on our transactional database (SQL Server). The procedure inserts records into several tables with logic that would have to be rebuilt otherwise. After it's all said and done, we then have to synchronize a table (Oracle) with the generated IDs.

So, to sum it up:
1. code reuse
2. transactional integrity between databases
ramabbm
Participant

Post by ramabbm »

Yes, you can write a routine, which internally executes the SQL server stored procedure through ODBC and get the results. It is very much possible.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You're going to have licensing issues because Ascential supplied drivers are licensed only for internal use by DataStage. Unless you supply your own drivers, your ODBC method won't work.

What's the issue with command line calls to sqlplus and osql/isql to run scripts that do this work? You could easily use a Sequencer or a Batch job or a simple script to do everything you're talking about with more extensive error handling capability and auditability.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle