From where can I get the information regarding Plugin Stages

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yatin.mittal
Participant

From where can I get the information regarding Plugin Stages

Post by yatin.mittal »

Hi,

Where should I post the queries related to Plugin stages,
Can I create my owm plugin?

Thanks,
Yatin Mittal
Accenture Services Pvt. Ltd.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

There is no seperate forum for plugins. Its all depends on which edition you use. If it is a PX you have a option to define you own stages. You have similar options available in server to build transforms and routines.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a separate manual for writing server plug-in stages called, from memory, DataStage Plug-In Writer's Guide. It does not ship with the usual set of manuals, but can be requested through your vendor.

I would counsel great caution before embarking on this task. Most who have investigated have found that they can perform the desired task with the tools already supplied. You need to be a highly skilled C programmer to create the stage itself, and a highly skilled C++ programmer to create a custom GUI (though the latter is not actually required, it does mean that you can more accurately guide the user). Not only must your passive stage handle Open, Read, ReadByKey, Write and Close, but it must also handle notifications to stop, abort conditions, metadata retrieval and data browsing. It's all in the manual.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.