Minimum Number of MIPS required with DSMVS version

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yksjosh
Participant

Post by yksjosh »

Hello All,

I am new to Datastage MVS and mainframes.
I wanted to know what role does the number of MIPS play in executing the programs generated by MVS.
I can understand that more the number of MIPS more will be the speed of execution, but what i would like to know here is , is there any minimum number of MIPS required of datastage MVS.

given a scenario,

If I want to process a batch of 3 million records everyday(12 hours to be more precise), can any one help me to know how i can estimate the number of minimum MIPS i will require to process such kind of load in 12 hours .

Thanks in advance
YKS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are too many (hardware) variables that would affect such an intepretation. You would be better off compiling the COBOL (DataStage has generated JCL both to compile and to run), and analyzing the number of generated machine instructions using your particular mainframe's tools.

Whether you can easily match that to a row count is somewhat problematic, unless you can isolate the pre-loop, intra-loop and post-loop instructions for the processing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ashwin141
Participant

Post by ashwin141 »

Hi Ray

Can you please elaborate on how do I analyse for MIPs after compiling and running the JCLs. Is there anyway to find out the optimum MIPS if I am aware about the Hardware Variables.

Please let us know about it.

Thanks & Regards
Ashwin
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, I cannot. I have no idea what analytical tools are available on your mainframe. It's not important anyway; discover heuristically how much processing capacity is needed. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.