Doubt regarding surrogate key.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rishabh
Participant

Doubt regarding surrogate key.

Post by rishabh »

Hi everyone,

I am working on Datastage 7.5.1 server version running on Unix with DB2 database.DS Client is on windows XP.

When i use the inbuilt fuction KeyMgtGetNextValue(%dummy%) in order to generate a surrogate key, it works fine.For example for 5 records the last key generated is 5.

However when i run the job again, the next key that is generated is 6 onwards and it does not reset the value and assign the key value 1.

I would like to know how will i be able to reset the value of the surrogate key in the memory.Is there some function which would help me in this regard?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you want it to start from 1 each time, there's absolutely no reason to use that function. Why not simply use @INROWNUM for the surrogate?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
raoraghunandan
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Doubt regarding surrogate key.

Post by raoraghunandan »

rishabh wrote:Hi everyone,

I am working on Datastage 7.5.1 server version running on Unix with DB2 database.DS Client is on windows XP.

When i use the inbuilt fuction KeyMgtGetNextValue(%dummy%) in order to generate a surrogate key, it works fine.For example for 5 records the last key generated is 5.

However when i run the job again, the next key that is generated is 6 onwards and it does not reset the value and assign the key value 1.

I would like to know how will i be able to reset the value of the surrogate key in the memory.Is there some function which would help me in this regard?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
Can I ask, why you need to worry about the surrogate key values ? What is the problem if the surrogate key value is not reset to 1 ?

Thanks,
Raghu
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Doubt regarding surrogate key.

Post by gateleys »

I don't see any reason why you would need to reset your surrogate key. But, if you are using it more like a sequence, then follow Craig's suggestion with @INROWNUM. If, you still feel the need to reset it, do a search on "UPDATE SDKSequences".

gateleys