identify temp files created by DS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

novice_pgr
Participant

identify temp files created by DS

Post by novice_pgr »

Our AIX is running out of space , but very recently we added 1GB for this /dstage/dsadm folder.
When we increased the space , DataStage was running quite faster.

How do i identify the temporary files which i can delete in DataStage to clear off some space.
I have already cleared of some unnecessary projects in it.

Any solutions ?

/dev/lv03 13631488 485992 97% 26858 2% /dstage/dsadm
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the uvconfig file there is a directory whose pathname is recorded as UVTEMP. You can remove any files from here that are owned by a DataStage process, provided the DataStage process is no longer running.

You can purge most entries from &PH& in each project, particularly the older ones. If there are old entries in &SAVEDLISTS& in each project, you can consider removing those also.

That's about it. The server engine tends to keep all its temporary files in the UVTEMP directory. It *should* clean these up but, if a job aborts, its cleanup mechanism never gets invoked.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mauherga
Participant

Post by mauherga »

Hi,

try to delete all files in your &PH& proyects file, there are a files that DS use when the jobs run and there are not necesary.

/proyectdir/&PH&/
maurik
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Clear the entries for RT_LOGnnn files by the
CLEAR.FILE command.
Where nnn is the job number.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

And also have your jobs set to auto purge.
I had also faced a similar problem a few weeks back and the above method was adapted to increase the size.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The directory pointed to by UVTEMP may contain any of the following.

- temporary files when compiling sica constraints ('compconXXXX') as part of DataStage SQL security

- temporary files used for sorting (partitions files that are then merged) 'sort'XXX')

- temporary files for EXECUTE...CAPTURING ('captureXXX') including ExecSH, ExecDOS, ExecTCL, DSExecute()

- temporary files for UniVerse SQL SELECT statements ('selectXXXX')

- temporary files for BASIC compiler ('bascXXX')

- temporary files used by hash.help ('hhelpXXX')

- temporary files used by hash.test ('htestXXX')

- temporary files used by init.catalog ('uvXXXX') for example when clearing the BASIC Catalog from shared memory

- temporary files used for Btree navigation ('btreeXXX') to resolve a location in a secondary index

- temporary files used by sorter to communicate to it ('selectXXXnotify')

- temporary files used by SDML (SQL) queries ('sdmlXXX')

- temporary files when using DATA statements ('DATAXXX' ) in BASIC programs and/or in paragraphs

- temporary files used by 'verify' function ("verifyXXX") in particular the VERIFY.SQL command

- temporary files used by MASTER command ('masterXX')

These *should* be cleaned up automatically, but may not be if a task aborts.
Periodically, therefore, delete old entries from the UVTEMP directory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

uvconfig file
Where does the uvconfig file reside & does it suffice to select autopurge on Datastage Administrator or do we need to set it somewhere else as well?
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Just in the Administrator. But it will not effect the pre-existing jobs. Ken has a utility that purges logs as well as sets the purge limit. Search for it here.