Performance differences in Operating Systems

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jshurak
Participant

Performance differences in Operating Systems

Post by jshurak »

Does anyone have experience in running datastage on different operating systems?

We are currently running datastage in a Windows environment and we are considering running it on a unix environment. Are there any noticable benefits to switching over to a Unix environment?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Sure, Unix machines scale into monster sizes with hundreds of CPUs and GBs of RAM with lightning fast disk darms.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

There is definetly no doubt in switching to unix :D 8)
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

I would suspect that the windows server version supports bcp for MsSQL. Thus, I would suspect that the windows version would toast Unix when putting data away directly to MsSQL.

If you are heavy MsSQL or only MsSQL I would consider staying on the windows version.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Apart from that, beware of any hard-coded pathnames. UNIX servers don't understand what to do with drive letters and gets backslashes in pathnames wrong too! There is a UNIX-based ODBC driver for SQL Server, but clearly - as pointed out - that is not as slick as keeping everything in Bill's domain.

Setting up ODBC on UNIX is done the same was as for Windows 3.1 and earlier - editing an odbc.ini file. Anyone remember that?

If you ever decide to go the parallel jobs route, then UNIX is a much more stable platform than Windows. The only parallel-jobs version of DataStage for Windows (7.5x2) is decidedly flaky.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.