KeyMgtGetNextValue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dwandbi
Participant

KeyMgtGetNextValue

Post by dwandbi »

Hello,
How would you reset surrogate key value generated to load target table from stating number say '1' again? What's exact routine in Before job sub-routine or command used in DS Adminstrator?

thanks,
Tom
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There isn't one. Write a job that does a SELECT MAX(yourkeycolumn) FROM yourtable and puts the result into the appropriate hashed file used by the function.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: KeyMgtGetNextValue

Post by gateleys »

That depends on how you generated your surrogate key. If it was generated using Sequence in Target database, then you would follow Kenneth's suggestion. However, if you used the KeyMgmt utility provided in DS, then you can read the SDKSequences into a hashed file with 2 fields (SequenceName as key, and NextVal), and then reset the desired Sequence's NextVal in the transformer. If you want to update it from Administrator command, it has been discussed many times. Search for UPDATE SDKSequences USING DICT VOC. I could write the whole command, but just want you to do a little work.

gateleys
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

If you dont want the sequence value to continue from previous load and if you want it to start from 1 for every load job run.. then maybe you could use @INROWNUM or @OUTROWNUM depending on your job design, rather than have to reset the keyMgmt value every time. My 2 cents :)
avi21st
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by avi21st »

I suggest you search the forum for your topic. Generally we update the SDK sequence hashed file with a seperate job. The structure of the SDK Sequence is that it hads the Sequence name and the present value stored. So a Datastage job can take it in a Hash file and update it. Or run this command from Administrator:

Code: Select all

UPDATE SDKSequences USING DICT VOC SET F1 = '1' WHERE @ID = 'Sequence Name';
I have seen several post by top posters on this topic- do search a while.
Avishek Mukherjee
Data Integration Architect
Chicago, IL, USA.