reject link order

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

reject link order

Post by jreddy »

Usually we have the reject link as the last link from the transformer to ensure that it captures rejects of the EARLIER output stages.. I have a job that has 2 output OraOCI stages and a sequential file stage (which has the rEJECT row ticked) My goal is to have the same data coming out of the transformer to be written to both the tables represented by the 2 OraOCI stages and the rejects to be written to the reject file.

It doesnt seem to matter if the have the reject link placed 2nd in order (between links 1 and 3 to the oracle stages) or if the reject link is placed last. Can anyone help me understand why ?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Read page 166 of your Server Job Developer's Guide. :wink:
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

thanks Kenneth.
But still my question stays unanswered. I have it as a rule of thumb and always design my jobs to have reject link as the last one out of the transformer.. but even if i put it in the second place.. still doesnt seem to matter and i started questioning my assumption and needed clarification of the same..
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

when you brought the reject link in second place, in regards to execution order, did you bring it in second place via link ordering :?:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

yes, I did
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The manual tells you to do it. It used to be required as the last link when DS 4 came out, but in prior releases it didn't matter. Maybe IBM will change their minds. In the meantime, follow the manual.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The answer will depend on if just the Reject Row check box is checked, there is an expression in the Constraint derivation - or both.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

i have the reject row checkbox ticked.. and no constraint defined on the links to the oraOCI stages - this reject file is just for a catch all
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's odd as that is the situation where it is supposed to matter where the reject row link is in the output link order. :?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A [rejects] link processes any row that has not been output on any earlier-executed output link.

Read that statement carefully.

What it means is that the reject link will not capture any row that fails to be put onto any subsequently executed output link.

It also means that a second [rejects] link will never process any rows.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.