problem with some sequences compilation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ppalka
Participant

problem with some sequences compilation

Post by ppalka »

I have a problem with compilation of some sequences, not with all. When I try to compile that sequence it doesn't update job control code, i. e. when I put new job in my sequence. When I change the name of that seq then it compiles good, but when I change it back to the previous name, there is the same problem.
Now, I found that problem in two sequences.

Do you have any idea how to fix that?

Thanks.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

When you change the name, do you do it as a "rename" from the Director/Manager/Designer lefthand screen? This keeps the original entry in DS_JOBS file. If you do a "save as" then delete the original and then rename the copy to the original's name it might work.

If this is the case, I would do a REINDEX and also check the UNIX file permissions to make sure your user has suffifient access rights for all the files in the project directory.
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

ArndW wrote:When you change the name, do you do it as a "rename" from the Director/Manager/Designer lefthand screen? This keeps the original entry in DS_JOBS file. If you do a "save as" then delete the original and then rename the copy to the original's name it might work.
Unfortunately it doesn't work, when I rename to original's name and recompile it get's the same job control code.
I even try such scenario: I copy everything from within that job, create new job, put that stuff into new job, delete old job, save new job as original name and there is the same problem :/
If this is the case, I would do a REINDEX and also check the UNIX file permissions to make sure your user has suffifient access rights for all the files in the project directory.
What do you mean by REINDEX?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you go to the Administrator command or go into TCL in a terminal session and enter DS.TOOLS the menu will have an option to reindex the files. This might fix your error. What about your UNIX access rights to all files in the directory?
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

ArndW wrote:If you go to the Administrator command or go into TCL in a terminal session and enter DS.TOOLS the menu will have an option to reindex the files. This might fix your error.
Is that operation safe?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you follow the instructions and make sure that no other users are logged it then the operation is safe. If other users are logged in then you might have unusable indices, but you won't lose any jobs or data.
Perhaps you could contact your support provider to get further assistance and let them make the REINDEX suggestion.
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

ArndW wrote:If you follow the instructions and make sure that no other users are logged it then the operation is safe. If other users are logged in then you might have unusable indices, but you won't lose any jobs or data.
It didn't help ;(
Any other ideas?
Please help
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

I figure that it is permission issue, because when I logged as another user then it works. What files/directories permision I should set?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

ppalka - I thought I asked twice to check permissions.
As a developer you should be in the group which has RW permissions to all the files in the project directory.
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

ArndW wrote:ppalka - I thought I asked twice to check permissions.
As a developer you should be in the group which has RW permissions to all the files in the project directory. ...
thanks a lot
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

ArndW wrote:ppalka - I thought I asked twice to check permissions.
As a developer you should be in the group which has RW permissions to all the files in the project directory. ...
But it was caused by permission on client machine. I had to use another windows account. Previously I used domain account. Now it is wortking fine on local account...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The client permissions shouldn't play a role, as nothing is done on the PC client box - but it was probably the access permissions for the user with which you logged into the server with. Or do you mean that the compile error changes depending upon your local login and not with the userid/password that you use to connect to DataStage with?
ppalka
Participant

Post by ppalka »

ArndW wrote:The client permissions shouldn't play a role, as nothing is done on the PC client box - but it was probably the access permissions for the user with which you logged into the server with. Or do you mean that the compile error changes depending upon your local login and not with the userid/password that you use to connect to DataStage with?
Yes, I mean that. I am still using the same login for DS and I only change my windows login. And now everything is fine
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I have no idea how that could happen - but obviously it does. I'm glad you figured it out and posted the cause so that someone else might use the search mechanism to find the answer.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Client permissions do play a role when compiling job sequences, because some of the pre-compilation is to craft a temporary XML document on the client.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.