DataStage salaries

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsstarter
Participant

DataStage salaries

Post by dsstarter »

Hi All,
I dont know is this correct forum to post my question, but still i would like to know abt it...as am a very aspiring who wants to shift my professional career from legacy to datawarehouse and BI. and I would like to know what is market for DataStage? how much an average 3 years experience guy can make in current market in usa....I heard the billing rates reduced drastically for DataStage since one year due to Offshore resources coming on h1 working in offshore companies like tcs cts is it true let me know annual salaries in current market for 3-5 years person

you response will be effecting greatly my decision...

a starter

Editor: First of all - the product name is "DataStage" - not "datstage" - I've corrected it in your post.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

dsstarter
Participant

Post by dsstarter »

thats great pic editor thank you...still you can enlight me on this.......topic

Thanks
starter
asorrell

It varies dramatically...

Post by asorrell »

My personal opinion is that the "offshoring" of DataStage development by IBM and other companies has impacted rates at the lower end of the spectrum.

However, the offshoring has had mixed success. Some projects have had severe problems with offshore development. From what I can see most failures come from the communication and management difficulties that come into play with any project that is not developed locally. If the specifications are clear and concise, with fairly constant communication and spot checks the projects seem to offshore ok. However, as we all know, projects where the specifications are "clear and concise" are few and far between.

This means that experienced consultants can still demand a decent rate. Especially if they can bring additional skills to the table like:
- Good communications skills
- Project management abilities
- Strong peripheral skills - SQL, scripting, database
- Advanced DataStage skills - PX, Administration, Internals

We still see DataStage gigs for rates from $100 - $200 per hour. Admittedly the $200 jobs are harder to come by - but they are out there. The main problem with all of these are the number of intermediates between the consultant and the customer. With two or three "middle-men" the customer may be paying $200 per hour, but the consultant may only be netting $100 of that.

I do find it curious that you are concerned with rates for someone with 2 or 3 years experience when you have NO experience. Unless you plan on lying on your resume you should be more interested in what rates are for new DataStage developers. Three years from now when you would have several years experience the situation (and payscales) may be completely different.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020