Moving Jobs Across Servers, need to export Table Defs?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kadf88
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moving Jobs Across Servers, need to export Table Defs?

Post by kadf88 »

Is it neccessary to export/import Table Definitions when I'm moving a job from one server to another? Assuming the environment (hardware, OS) ar the same?

We experimented with this and seems like you do indeed need to import/export the table defs but it doesn't make sense because you can move jobs across projects (same server) without moving the table defs. And doesn't DS store the table defs internally to the job once you compile?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
dwandbi
Participant

Check DS Manger Guide

Post by dwandbi »

I don't think to export data definitions when you are exporting/importing a server job from one server to other. Say from dev to prod box.

check DS Manager guide once.

thanks,
Tom
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

It is not necessary to move a table def with a job when exporting/importing. What experiment were you doing that indicated otherwise?
kadf88
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kadf88 »

well, the experiment was just that, moving a job across servers. It wasn't able to compile when we just moved the job without table defs. But when we included the table defs, it compiled.
dwandbi
Participant

check back once

Post by dwandbi »

If the servers(Dev and Prod) are located on once box then no need to ex/im table definitions along with server job executables.

thanks,
Tom
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Check DS Manger Guide

Post by gateleys »

Hi Tom,
dwandbi wrote:I don't think to export data definitions when you are exporting/importing a server job from one server to other. Say from dev to prod box.
Your first response says that if Dev and Prod belong to two different boxes, then there is no need to export metadata.
dwandbi wrote: If the servers(Dev and Prod) are located on once box then no need to ex/im table definitions
However, your second response says that if Dev and Prod are in the same box, then it does not necessitate metadata export.

So, if I were to combine both your posts, it means irrespective of the location of the the projects, there is no need to export metadata. Am I correct?

Thanks,
gateleys
kadf88
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kadf88 »

what if they are located on different boxes?

cause i think they are
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Table Definitions stored in Manager are not necessary for executing or importing a job design. Proper metadata management is a different topic. You should consider keeping all design information together no matter which environment. A table definition is copied into a job design with a silent link between each column and the definition loaded. You can delete a table definition from Manager without affecting the job design. You can also type into a job design metadata that has no stored definition and everything will work.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you use Usage Analysis in Manager or MetaStage, and expect it to work properly in the new environment, then you must migrate the table definitions.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

Hi,

To keep track of table defination or table use by Jobs, we need to import/export table defination.

Example: Suppose our table design change in backend database then it is diffcult to track ETL which are using this table need to modify for change.
If we have table defination we can esaily get ETL information from manger.

Best practice always import/export all metadata.

Thanks,
--Anupam
akarmarkar@smart-bridge.co.in
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

To facilitate the porcess of collecting the table defenitions to a centelized repository, MetaBrokers can be used.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'