In Informix DataBase condtion for NULL value getting fail

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

prasoon
Participant

In Informix DataBase condtion for NULL value getting fail

Post by prasoon »

Hi
In DS I given following condition

If (Column1= 'Y' AND Column2= 'Y' AND Column3= 'Y' AND Column4= 'Y' then 'Y' else 'N')

But when ALL the column's getting NULL value then in Target Table updating with NULL value. According to my requirement It should be either 'Y'(if Condition thru) or 'N'

Due to this problem most of the record not updating in target Table!!

Please suggest me How I can solve this problem.
Regards,
Prasoon
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

NULL is always a tricky concept, and therefore should be explicitly handled.

Code: Select all

If (IsNull(Column1) Or IsNull(Column2) Or IsNull(Column3) Or IsNull(Column4)) Then 'N' Else If (Column1= 'Y' AND Column2= 'Y' And Column3= 'Y' AND Column4= 'Y') then 'Y' else 'N' 
It is also the case that your expression

If (Column1= 'Y' AND Column2= 'Y' AND Column3= 'Y' AND Column4= 'Y' then 'Y' else 'N') 
has the right parenthesis misplaced - it should follow "Column4='Y'". This alone may be a sufficient correction, since NULL always takes the ELSE path in an IF statement, on the grounds that it can never be asserted to be "true".

However, I always advocate handling NULL explicitly, if for no other reason than to communicate to the next developer that I've considered it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
prasoon
Participant

Re: In Informix DataBase condtion for NULL value getting fai

Post by prasoon »

In Data Stage Transformation following condition given

IF Trim (gender) = 'Male' OR Trim (gender) = 'Female' OR Trim (gender) = 'Indeterminate' THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N'

Source: Table 1
Column Nullable
Gender No

Target: Table 2
Column Nullable
Sex Yes

Please let me know how some of the row of Table 2 getting null values.

prasoon wrote:Hi
In DS I given following condition

But when ALL the column's getting NULL value then in Target Table updating with NULL value. According to my requirement It should be either 'Y'(if Condition thru) or 'N'

Due to this problem most of the record not updating in target Table!!

Please suggest me How I can solve this problem.
Regards,
Prasoon
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

U need to handle nulls and sometimes u need to even check for spaces,
ex: len(trim(linkname," ","A"))=0
Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Where is the source coming from? Just because you declare a column to be not null in your DataStage job does not enforce non-nullability. For example, if your source is a text file, the Format tab on the Sequential File stage specifies what will be interpreted to be null (by default it is "") and this is irrespective of the nullability setting for that column. You can override the definition of null representation for particular columns in the Columns grid. Scroll to the right to find it. Replace the empty string with something else, such as "<NULL>".

Post number 11111
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
prasoon
Participant

Post by prasoon »

Source is also INFORMIX
ray.wurlod wrote:Where is the source coming from? Just because you declare a column to be not null in your DataStage job does not enforce non-nullability. For example, if your source is a text file, the Format tab o ...
Regards,
Prasoon
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

ray.wurlod wrote:Post number 11111
Great going Ray. The numbers come with a wealth of information for all of us here in the forum. Thanks.

gateleys
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

I suggest check from empty after triming

Trim(Column)=''

--Anupam
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

What is the target column datatype?
What if some of the input fields comes as expetec (is it getting populated with either 'Y' or 'N')?
What if you try

IF (Trim(gender) = "Male" OR Trim(gender) = "Female" OR Trim(gender) = "Indeterminate") THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N' 
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
prasoon
Participant

Post by prasoon »

1.Target column datatype is CHAR
2.other column are populatting according to condition.
3.I'm using following condition
IF (Trim(gender) = "Male" OR Trim(gender) = "Female" OR Trim(gender) = "Indeterminate") THEN 'Y' ELSE 'N'
kumar_s wrote:What is the target column datatype?
What if some of the input fields comes as expetec (is it getting populated with either 'Y' or 'N')?
What if you try

Regards,
Prasoon
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Ooff... a quick response...
Are you sure you are lookin after the output directly after the transformation and not after any join or merge where the null will play a vital role.
Try using debugger to know rows wise processing.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
prasoon
Participant

Post by prasoon »

Sorry Kumar for late response....
Ok Now I got the reason why data is not updating those record.
In that job near about 12 Transformation using I was concentrated only on derivation given on Transformation.

But Problem is from source table only data is not fetching for those 268 record among 23458690 record.
I have to look on that only!!

Thanks a lot for support kumar!!
:)
kumar_s wrote:Ooff... a quick response...
Are you sure you are lookin after the output directly after the transformation and not after any join or merge where the null will play a vital role.
Try using debugger to know rows wise processing.
Regards,
Prasoon
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Perhaps to Dsxchange :D