Look up

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adams06
Participant

Look up

Post by adams06 »

what is the purpose of look up?
Can some one send me some examples for lookup?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Parent-child relationships between sets of data, the Lookup stage is documented in your manual.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
adams06
Participant

Post by adams06 »

kcbland wrote:Parent-child relationships between sets of data, the Lookup stage is documented in your manual.
can u elobrate ur explanation.

Thanks in advance.
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

If you are looking up for look up stage then please read the documentation. As a starter "The most common use for a lookup is to map short codes in the input data set onto expanded information from a lookup table which is then joined to the incoming data and output. " Also I see ure using server edition so please post it in the right forum.

Thanks,
Abhi.
Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Lookups in server jobs are achieved by painting one or more reference input links into a Transformer stage and supplying them from passive stage types that support "get by key" functionality (for example NOT Sequential File stage). You supply an expression in the Transformer stage that is used as the key value for the lookup operation.

A lookup returns the row that corresponds to the key value. If the servicing stage is an ODBC or a UV stage, it is possible to search on a non unique key and return more than one row. If the key is not found a row is returned in which every column is set to NULL. So a lookup in a server job behaves like a left outer join.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vijayrc
Participant

Re: Look up

Post by vijayrc »

adams06 wrote:what is the purpose of look up?
Can some one send me some examples for lookup?
If you have a file that contains employee records with the employee State code alone...say FL, and you need the full state name, you can have a reference file with State Code and State Name...FL-->Florida and can lookup the first file against the reference file with the State code as key and get the State name in the output file w/ all other columns. Hope this helps