what is PUSH and PULL

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chandra
Participant

what is PUSH and PULL

Post by chandra »

what is Push and PULL in Datastage
chandra ,
Hyd
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I can't figure out your context but here goes: Pushing is your local server sending data away. Pulling is your local server bring data to itself.

If something pushes data to you, it means their server is sending data to your server. If you go get that data, you're pulling it over.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These terms are mostly used when describing how data arrive from other sources (often mainframes).

A PUSH means that a process on the other source initiates the transfer. DataStage will typically wait for a file to appear.

A PULL means that DataStage initiates the transfer (perhaps via an FTP stage or script) and can begin processing the data straight away.

These terms often appear on signs on doors, and it's surprising how many people get it right after only two tries! :lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chandra
Participant

Post by chandra »

is the command we execute in mainfarme system or its a process .
chandra ,
Hyd
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

chandra wrote:is the command we execute in mainfarme system or its a process .
Your sentence doesn't make any sense. Push and Pull is just the terminology used as explained quite lucidly by our gurus above.

Thanks,
Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
venugopal81
Participant

Post by venugopal81 »

These terms we have used in SAP BW. We have used PUSH method when we need to send the data to SAP-BIW from Datastage. From SAP-BIW we need to extract the data we used PULL method. For this process we using SAP BW load packs..