Insert and Update

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vardhan354
Participant

Insert and Update

Post by vardhan354 »

Hi D.S Gurus,

Below is the job structure,Im performing.In this Job, the data is loaded in to a table X.Using that table as source, I'm making a lookup with the help of a hashed file(part of the data from table X is sent to this hashed file for look up) in the transformer 2.
In transformer 2, I make a look up and update the same table X.So the source and target are the same table.In first case, the data is being inserted and after that Im updating part of columns which are inserted.When I run this job, the job is stucking up with no indication of any error.

Transformer1------>Hashed File
| |
| |
| |
Data-->Source---------->Transformer2------------>Target[/img]

Please mail me your opinion to solve this problem.Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

V.V.G[/img]
ETL
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Insert and Update

Post by gateleys »

Vardhan,
I did not understand a word that you were trying convey. To make this worse, your diagram added to your verbal confusion. I am lost :roll: . Please use the CODE tags in the editor if you are drawing your design, or the IMG tags properly in case you have your image hosted elsewhere.

gateleys
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

it is because its causing a deadlock, try to load the data into a hashed/seq file then update in a different job.

Thanks,
Abhi.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need separate Hashed File stages - one for lookups, one for writing - even though they refer to the same hashed file. Put an annotation on your design canvas to alert future developers to the fact that both stages refer to the same hashed file.

Code: Select all

HFStage1   HFStage2
          |            ^
          |            |
          V            |
   --->  TransformerStage  --->
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.